cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 wifi issues

johnrambo18
Dialled in

Since upgrading from Hub 3 to Hub 5, WiFi on some devices is worse. Ethernet is fine. But a Galaxy tablet is sluggish in moving between Web pages or eg viewing video on Facebook. VM support don't seem to have much idea. I have TP link repeater upstairs and connections via this seem better than through Hub direct.

111 REPLIES 111

Thanks @EvoVM. That's the solution I'm using at the moment, but madness that my older devices can connect to the 5Ghz network fine, but a new 5G phone has to be throttled by using a 2.4Ghz network in the house. Seems my options now are either argue with Virgin to send me a Hub 4 (instead of the 5) or spend my own money on a wifi router

maxlugg
Dialled in

@johnrambo18 wrote:

Since upgrading from Hub 3 to Hub 5, WiFi on some devices is worse. Ethernet is fine. But a Galaxy tablet is sluggish in moving between Web pages or eg viewing video on Facebook. VM support don't seem to have much idea. I have TP link repeater upstairs and connections via this seem better than through Hub direct.

I have had exactly the same issue. My old HUB2 was replaced first with a HUB3 and then two weeks later with a HUB5. I used the HUB2 in modem mode with a Netgear router and an upstairs extender. The HUB3 worked well on its own but the HUB5 has had the problems detailed in this thread.

I set up the Netgear extender as a WiFi hotspot, sitting next to the HUB5 and using a wired ethernet connection. The "problem" devices connect to the hotspot with no issues. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank for the response maxlugg,

Welcome back to the community.

Just to clarify, has this been resolved for you?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain,

I have worked around the issue with additional equipment of my own, so I'm OK.

The posts in this thread suggest a fundamental problem with the HUB5 WiFi. I haven't fixed that!

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @maxlugg,

Thanks for the update on this - I'm glad to hear things are up and running for you now. I've also passed on the feedback from this thread in regards to the issues with the Hub 5. With the Hub 5 still within a closed trial, I'm sure things will improve before the full release.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Rasolam
Settling in

Hi John

I know your post was in Feb and hope ur sorted now. 

I myself got the hub 5 yesterday and have been having the same issues. I work in IT myself and while hub 5 is shall we say experimental it's obviously not been tested thoroughly. 

Anyway I found a fix for anyone else having the same issues. 

If you. Login to your router advanced settings WiFi simply disable the 5ghz and you will be up and running

While 5ghz was on and I was literally 8 feet away from router I was getting 1.4y download speed

After switching off 5ghz I was getting 46mbs download

Hope this helps someone 

Forcing all your devices to use 2.4G by completely disabling 5G is a bit of an overkill. As previously mentioned, you can separate the 2.4G and 5G WiFi networks by giving them different names.

hi, i recently got the new hub but my laptop cant even see its wifi network? its a few years old but not ancient. is there anything i can do to make it compatible? 
i have separated 2.4g and 5g but it shows neither, but shows next door's virgin fine. do i have to swap back to the old hub? i still have it. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tip75 wrote:

hi, i recently got the new hub but my laptop cant even see its wifi network? its a few years old but not ancient. is there anything i can do to make it compatible? 
i have separated 2.4g and 5g but it shows neither, but shows next door's virgin fine. do i have to swap back to the old hub? i still have it. 

The Hub 5 is wifi 6 ax protocol and some devices don't like this.  Try setting the 2.4Ghz to legacy mode as below;

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
In the Wireless frequency 2.4GHz select Wireless mode > 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Select Apply changes

If this still doesn't work, ask to get your old Hub activated.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

yeah i have that set and no joy. bit silly to bring something in when so many devices dont support it