cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 wifi issues

johnrambo18
Dialled in

Since upgrading from Hub 3 to Hub 5, WiFi on some devices is worse. Ethernet is fine. But a Galaxy tablet is sluggish in moving between Web pages or eg viewing video on Facebook. VM support don't seem to have much idea. I have TP link repeater upstairs and connections via this seem better than through Hub direct.

111 REPLIES 111

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Martin,

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're having with our Hub 5. I've ran some checks on our end and can see that there's a couple of issues that we would send a Technician out to take a look at. From your post, I can see you already have a Technician booked in, please let me know how you get on 🙂

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Technician has been.

Basic problem is that WiFi 6 on hub 5 isn't compatible with many less than "brand new" gadgets, like 3 year old Samsung galaxy tablets.

Suffice to say, I now have a Hub 4 which seems to be working perfectly. Turns out I had a Hub 3 before. Shows what I know.

The technician was very honest and said he'd reported this problem several months ago and that there should be an option to switch off WiFi 6. That will require the company that makes the Hub 5 to tweak it's manufacture of the Hub. No doubt, further down the line, this will happen.

Maybe someone should mention this to the call centre staff. It might have saved me a lot of time and my blood pressure might not have been raised to such a high level!

So, beware the e-mail that offers you a Hub 5. It's still very much in the "testing" stages.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for reaching out and for the valuable information in regards to the Hub 5 and the current compatibility issue, as you have advised we are aware this will be something we will be working to get resolved, if you do need any further support please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Just use modem mode and get a better router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Not the point really. You pay for a service which includes WiFi, so you should not have to buy your own router on top of this. 

If Virgin are now aware of this issue, what is the recommended course of action for other customers experiencing the same problem with their Hub 5 device?

OK, well to be honest, and naturally nobody from VM are going to risk their jobs by supporting this, but the Hub 5 has all the indications of being rushed out without proper testing and the firmware being reliable.

Now that is fine as long as customers receiving it are fully made aware of these facts, otherwise then VM really are on dodgy ground legally, the general consensus is that supplied equipment is ‘fit for purpose’ or if not the the customer is fully informed beforehand that what they are being sent is an incomplete, trial device with all of the attendant issue - the principle of ‘informed consent’.

If and when push comes to shove, any Court will absolutely come down on the side of the customer.

So recommended course of action? Well if the Hub 5 happens to work for you, then fine, otherwise, post up your issues here, it may well be something that isn’t Hub 5 related but a more general issue which we can help with. But if all else fails and if you can demonstrate that your problems only started with the 5 and didn’t exist with earlier hubs, then the legal position is clear. VM are absolutely obliged to provide you with equipment which conforms with what your contract specifies and also performs in accordance to reasonable expectations.

Now the issue will be getting the (universally regarded as useless) VM customer services to acknowledge the problem. So best thing is to call up and request, no demand that they replace the Hub 5 with an earlier model, make sure that you mention the phrases ‘unfit for purpose’ and ‘informed consent’ and ‘it wasn’t explained to me that the the hardware was in a trial/incomplete mode when it was offered to me’ that in the call. Not that it will help immediately as the offshore call centre staff have about as much understanding of the Law as my cat does, but invaluable (and, of course, you are recording the conversations yourselves and making notes on what was said, yes?), when this ends up inevitably with the industry adjudicator and/or the regulator, or even the Courts!

OK bottom line, if the Hub 5 does’t work for you for whatever reason, call VM and demand they send an earlier model for you, otherwise…..

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

OK, well to be honest, and naturally nobody from VM are going to risk their jobs by supporting this, but the Hub 5 has all the indications of being rushed out without proper testing and the firmware being reliable.

All the hubs are rushed their has never (to my knowledge) been a release data for a hub only that it alway in testing so if VM are handing them out now then its released. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Martin1877
On our wavelength

@jem101 wrote:

Now that is fine as long as customers receiving it are fully made aware of these facts, otherwise then VM really are on dodgy ground legally, the general consensus is that supplied equipment is ‘fit for purpose’ or if not the the customer is fully informed beforehand that what they are being sent is an incomplete, trial device with all of the attendant issue - the principle of ‘informed consent’.

If and when push comes to shove, any Court will absolutely come down on the side of the customer.

So recommended course of action? Well if the Hub 5 happens to work for you, then fine, otherwise, post up your issues here, it may well be something that isn’t Hub 5 related but a more general issue which we can help with. But if all else fails and if you can demonstrate that your problems only started with the 5 and didn’t exist with earlier hubs, then the legal position is clear. VM are absolutely obliged to provide you with equipment which conforms with what your contract specifies and also performs in accordance to reasonable expectations.

Now the issue will be getting the (universally regarded as useless) VM customer services to acknowledge the problem. So best thing is to call up and request, no demand that they replace the Hub 5 with an earlier model, make sure that you mention the phrases ‘unfit for purpose’ and ‘informed consent’ and ‘it wasn’t explained to me that the the hardware was in a trial/incomplete mode when it was offered to me’ that in the call. Not that it will help immediately as the offshore call centre staff have about as much understanding of the Law as my cat does, but invaluable (and, of course, you are recording the conversations yourselves and making notes on what was said, yes?), when this ends up inevitably with the industry adjudicator and/or the regulator, or even the Courts!

OK bottom line, if the Hub 5 does’t work for you for whatever reason, call VM and demand they send an earlier model for you, otherwise…..

After my initial communication with VM, your suggestion regarding the "unfit for purpose" direction was the route I chose to pursue. It took me two further phone calls and two technician visits before it was eventually sorted.

However, I suspect I got lucky and it all eventually came down to a technician who was a bit more honest and insightful than the norm. 

@paulandjules wrote:

If Virgin are now aware of this issue, what is the recommended course of action for other customers experiencing the same problem with their Hub 5 device?

Current best workaround for me at least on my Samsung Tab A that gets at least a semi stable connection is to separate 5GHz and 3GHz bands and just connect to 3GHz. Still get brief (20 second or so) dropouts and considerable speed drop over what I get on other devices on 5GHz but it works.

And Virgin should have been aware of this issue from this board for close to 6 months. So to be honest I'm not particularly optimistic there'll ever be a fix.