cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 wifi issues

johnrambo18
Dialled in

Since upgrading from Hub 3 to Hub 5, WiFi on some devices is worse. Ethernet is fine. But a Galaxy tablet is sluggish in moving between Web pages or eg viewing video on Facebook. VM support don't seem to have much idea. I have TP link repeater upstairs and connections via this seem better than through Hub direct.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

In an ideal world hubs would be rigorously tested according to industry standards, customer experience would triumph over corporate rollout targets, market share and profit and emails to customers inviting them to receive an "upgrade" would be factual, open and honest. 

However we are in the world of Liberty Global and Virgin Media. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

111 REPLIES 111

johnrambo18
Dialled in

Further development. I have tried an Asus Zen pad tablet which I have not used for a while. This will not connect at all to WiFi on the hub direct, but will work on the TP link extender. There must be something wrong with the WiFi setting in the hub as you can't change anything on the tablet, and it used to work on the old Hub 3

The hub is best used in modem mode with your own wifi router that got 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

This rather defeats the whole idea. The old Hub3 used to work ok. The hub5 is supposed to be an upgrade ie improvement, so I don't see why I should have to buy my own router for it to work properly.  Surely its down to VM to supply kit which I'd fit for purpose?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In an ideal world hubs would be rigorously tested according to industry standards, customer experience would triumph over corporate rollout targets, market share and profit and emails to customers inviting them to receive an "upgrade" would be factual, open and honest. 

However we are in the world of Liberty Global and Virgin Media. 

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @johnrambo18, thanks for your post although I'm very sorry that you're having issues with your Hub 5.

We do not guarantee wifi speeds at Virgin Media as per our speed guarantee, as speeds through wifi can be subject to lots of external factors. As @legacy1 has mentioned, some customers do choose to purchase their own third party networking equipment which can help, so it may be worth exploring this avenue for future reference.

I hope this helps!

Many thanks

Tom_W

No, this doesn't help! The point I was making is that the WiFi is worse on some devices with the Hub 5 than it was with the Hub3. All other conditions are the same. It should not be up to the customer to have to purchase extra kit to make it work. It is surely not unreasonable to expect VM to provide an equal or better service than I had before. There must be a fault with the settings or the actual hub....

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try setting the 2.4Ghz band to a legacy setting?

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
In the Wireless frequency 2.4GHz select Wireless mode > 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Select Apply changes

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is already set like this. The other parameters in this section are - channel auto and channel width 20/40 MHz

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnrambo18 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is already set like this. The other parameters in this section are - channel auto and channel width 20/40 MHz

The problem seems to stem from the Hub 5 using the ax protocol for wifi, as some devices cannot negotiate a connection.  If this is causing problems, ask to have your old Hub reinstalled.  It can be done, so be insistent when asking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks