cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 settings show devices limited to 100mbps

hza360
Tuning in

Hi all, couldn't seem to find anything matching my issue on here so posting a new question. 

I have 1000mbps internet, however when I access my "Connected Devices" page in the hub settings, I can see the majority of my devices are limited to 100mbps. I have a mesh router, and when I connect directly from the primary mesh router to my PC via ethernet, I get the full 1000mbps (according to speedtest.net), however any other connection gets me 100mbps (e.g. if I connect my pc via ethernet to one of the other mesh routers). All wifi connections appear to be limited to 100mbps.

Some further context - this issue has only been present since upgrading to 1000mbps and switching to the hub 5. the Hub 3.0 had no issues getting the full 350mbps I was paying for at the time. I'm using the same cables and hardware as I was when on the 350mbps, but now is limited to 100mbps.

Any ideas on how I can get the full 1000mbps from my devices regardless of how I'm connecting?

Screenshot 2023-01-02 171830.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the quick response! No, it's in router mode: 

hza360_0-1672682398903.png

Should this be in Modem mode?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Is the hub in modem mode?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the quick response! No, it's in router mode: 

hza360_0-1672682398903.png

Should this be in Modem mode?

Solved it - made a few changes and it looks like it's all running at 1000mbps now: used a Cat6 ethernet cable from my Hub 5 to the mesh router (previous one was unlabelled) and also factory reset my hub. Not sure which one of those did it, but it's fixed now.

FYI - I'd tried switching to modem mode but it was showing as "Connected without internet", so I hit the factory reset button.

Thanks very much

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It will be better in modem mode as the mesh modem will surely be better than the Hub's. What make/model of Mesh is it ? And it probably "failed before because this sequence wasnt followed

Switch on and set up your own router or first Mesh unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or all Mesh units) and switch them off and unplug them. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the detailed response John, I might just give that a try. 

Currently the Mesh routers have their own SSID, separate to the Hub 5's SSID, i.e. devices are able to connect to either the Hub 5 or the Mesh wifi based on the SSID I select. In this case would there be any benefit to turning the Hub 5 to Modem mode if I'm already not using the Hub 5's SSID anyway, and just connecting to the Mesh routers? It's very possible that I'm missing something here..!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hmm, looks like you are using a mix of BT disks and power line adapters? That is not a good idea really. Would be best to use a proper Mesh or Access Point solution.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That's right - I'm using the BT Whole Home disks, but not currently using the powerline adapter. That was just something else I'd tried to see if I could improve my speeds vs the wifi connections..!

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @hza360, and a very warm welcome to you!

Pleased to read that you've been able to find a solution to this fault.

Do feel free to come back to our Community Forums, if any further issues arise with your services.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn