cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 release date ?

waqyboy
Tuning in

Does anyone have a clue when the trial will be done and this router sent out to existing customers? A realisitic release date would help. Im looking to get the best out of my hub 4 but is limited by its 1gig ports. 

24 REPLIES 24

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@waqyboy wrote:

Does anyone have a clue when the trial will be done and this router sent out to existing customers? A realisitic release date would help. Im looking to get the best out of my hub 4 but is limited by its 1gig ports. 

The Hub5 only has 1GB ports as well. Only the wan is 2.5gb

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @gary_dexter has pointed out, it's only the WAN port, so you will also need to use a 3rd party router with a 2.5Gb NIC or better, and use the Hub 5 in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unlikely in the near future, the firmware is not fully compatible with other current facilities. There are plenty of 'squeak squeaks' out there having trouble.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Since when was it a trial?

The poor mugs thought they were just getting a new piece of kit a bit early and most had no clue what they were getting themselves into.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@jhuk wrote:

The poor mugs thought they were just getting a new piece of kit a bit early and most had no clue what they were getting themselves into.

Discussed many times already. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

The Hub 5 was originally released to some customers who seem to have been contacted by VM out of the blue and offered one. What doesn't seem too have been mentioned to them was the fact that the 5 really was in a 'trial' state, had numerous issue and features which didn't work and, no doubt, other bugs still undiscovered but, well, that's what the mugs trialists are for isn't it.

Latterly, it has been moved to a soft launch phase (no, no idea either), not sure if any more people are being offered one or not.

What we do know is that currently, the telephone ports on it do not work, so it can't be offered to anyone with a VM telephone service which connects directly to the hub. Similarly it doesn't work with the VM wifi pods, so that rules it out for anyone using those and also rules it out (or at least should) from being offered to anyone on particular contracts (Gig One, VOLT contracts, I think), which includes free pods - slightly embarrassing to admit that 'yes Mr customer you are fully entitled to free WiFi pods, and we will send them out to you, alas they won't work! Sorry about that'

Judging by posts on this forums, there appear to be issues with the web server in it showing all the stability of a jelly, poor wifi performance (well nothing new there then), inability to setup some functions (port forwarding) and persistent reports that VPN connections to work don't work with the 5 whereas they did with earlier models.

Now we can't tell exactly how prevalent these issues actually are, was there a batch of Hub 5 shipped out with manufacturing defects, are they all like it but most users never go into the settings and are used to flakey wifi so simply haven't experienced problems? Who knows?

There have been claims of firmware updates being pushed out to 'fix' the VPN problems - yet there are still recent posts complaining of issues with this and other functions.

All I can say is that I certainly would not want to have one in the state it appears to be in, our advice for those with one and post here looking for help is simply this, try a full factory reset of it and see if that fixes the problems, if not then contact VM and just request, no demand, that they replace the 5 with a previous model. Ideally the user hasn't send their older hub back that so it should (and I stress should as there have been many cases of people simply being lied to and told it wasn't possible), be a simple matter for them to reconnect the old hub and for VM to re-activate it on their account.

@gary_dexter wrote:

@jhuk wrote:

Discussed many times already. 

Not in this thread so he is probably not aware of that.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not in this thread so he is probably not aware of that.”

That’s why you should search the board before even raising a new topic.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jhuk
Trouble shooter

What has that to do with my post and I will post it in every thread that needs it?

You have both been here long enough to know people are either too stupid or too lazy and do not use search, if they did there would be a lot less threads in every forum as less dupes.