cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 overnight software updates

Osram
On our wavelength

Hi all, I have had 1 gig and hub 5 for two weeks now, when it is working it seems to work well, however on 17/9/2022 a Saturday at 24:00 with out warning the router appeared to reboot and my teenage son ran down the stairs screaming "what have I done to the internet" he was mid online game and not happy. It took about 45 minutes for it to come back to life after WE rebooted it several times. I tried to impress upon my son that it was probable getting an update. Next day the same thing happened at 24:00 again, but this time I convinced him to leave it alone and let it do it's thing, why do all teenagers think they know it all? It came back up and all seemed ok after about half an hour. For reference I made a note of the software version via the web setup page. Last night (Saturday) guess what happened at 24:00? Yes it rebooted and took half an hour to come back???. I checked and the router software version had not changed, also two of my security cameras failed to reconnect until I powered them off and on again,,,, so much for security.

Now to the questions:-

1) Why assuming it is trying to update is it so early in a teenagers daily time scale? He regularly plays online to 3-4 am. Can this be adjusted? I was unable to find the option in the web page, unlike my 20 year old DLink router or the 3 Broadband Hub I just returned to 3.

2) Why did it not manage to update the router software during it's half hour useless period?

3) Will Virgin send an engineer round to restart my security cameras whilst I am away on vacation if this is going to happen each week?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like the Hub is trying to update and failing to do so.  VM do not generally update the firmware very often.

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You should look at getting your own router and use hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Osram
On our wavelength

Hi Alessandro, I used to do this with Hub 1 as it's WIFI was so bad, hence reference to old router, then had Hub 3 after arguing with VM that I should not need two devices and power bricks to one job. Upgrade to 1 Gig and stronger WIFI signal strength required Hub 5. Been there and done it, but still trying to reduce electricity bills. Thanks for reply though.

Osram
On our wavelength

Not wanting to be left out it did it again Sunday 25/9/22 at 24:00, I feel reasonably certain that it has been "programmed" to do this but is failing to update any Firmware/Software and putting itself out of action for approximately 30 minutes Saturday and Sunday from 24:00 for two weekends now. Same two cameras failed to reconnect again, but I suspect this is just a wifi strength issue as they are the furthest from the hub, one problem at a time.

I could really do with some help on this if any one has good ideas or perhaps a moderator could instigate a test from their end?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like the Hub is trying to update and failing to do so.  VM do not generally update the firmware very often.

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
The most likely explanation is the least likely one that the average user would consider.
In your locality, there may be at least 5 models of hub hanging off the same cable.

Each firmware update is "multicast", meaning that everyone receives it. Any Hub type to which the update is not relevant rejects the update.

Simple as that.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Osram
On our wavelength

Thanks for the advice, I had read this else ware and tried it to the letter this morning, will have to wait until the weekend to see what happens if anything.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi wrote:

What Adduxi suggests is guaranteed to bring down a firmware update because the Hub 5's initial firmware is not the current firmware.   If that fails ....

Osram
On our wavelength

Thanks Sephiroth, I think your explanation sounds feasible, the whole town runs on VM, however I have been a VM/NTL  customer for over 20 years and never had this happen before using Hub's 1 3 and now 5. It's frustrating that after the reboot it wipes the Log file in the router so unable to see what happened.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
@Osram - My explanation is definitely valid in the general sense. You'd normally only notice this by studying the Hub's Network Log - and then it depends on whether or not the Hub has enough memory to update the Network Log with the information.