cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - macOS Monterey

Jijimon2000
On our wavelength

Hi,

I recently received the new Hub 5 as an upgrade from the Hub 3 (the hub 5 is loads better for Wi-Fi signal). The issue I am having is I have an MacBook Pro M1 2020 on MacOS Monterey and since changing the router on Friday, I am constantly having issues where apps are not connecting.

Apps such as Teams, Outlook and Speed Test all say I have no internet connection (everything else seems to be working fine so far). I have turned off iCloud Private Relay and that made no difference, the only thing that works is when I connect via VPN, then everything works perfectly.

I shouldn't need to connect via the VPN (which gives me slower speeds) so I am wondering, is anyone else having a similar issue since changing to the Hub 5, and if so, have you been able to fix it? I could open some ports on the router, but to be honest, I have no idea which ones.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you @Adduxi

I tried that but it still didn't work but thank you still as it is something I had not considered (the Hub 3 was separate networks by default and I didn't notice when changing).

I have since fixed the issue though but forgot to reply (may be helpful to other Mac users). In the last updated 12.1, it auto turned on Automatic Proxy Discovery for all Wi-Fi networks. Literally after nearly a month, it was just a tick box that Apple enabled when updating which coincided with the day I changed the router.

Just in case anyone else who is having this issue doesn't know how to turn this off, I will list the steps below

1. Click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen, then select System Preferences
  2. Select Network
  3. On the Preference Pane, click the Advance button
  4. Click the Proxies tab
  5. Un-tick Auto Proxy Discovery (make sure all un-ticked unless you are actually using a proxy)
  6. Click Ok
  7. On the bottom of the Preferences Pane, click Apply and wait about 20 seconds. Everything should be working.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

minispiney
On our wavelength

I've been having intermittent strange behaviour on Monterey with a Hub 4, similar symptoms to you.  Mine seemed to get better when I set my router to do local DNS caching.  Might have been a coincidence though.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 5 - Modem Mode - Eero mesh
My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia OL15

I have no idea how to do that. Are you using a separate router and using your hub in Modem mode? I am using the hub in standard router mode and can't see anything about the DNS 😞

UPDATE: I have just seen your signature so that has answered the question

Are you using the same SSID and password as the previous hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

No, I am using the new SSID and a different password

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub 5 is still by invite only and it still in trials.  These things are expected until all the bugs are squashed and the firmware updated.

Having said that, have you tried splitting the SSID?  It may help.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you @Adduxi

I tried that but it still didn't work but thank you still as it is something I had not considered (the Hub 3 was separate networks by default and I didn't notice when changing).

I have since fixed the issue though but forgot to reply (may be helpful to other Mac users). In the last updated 12.1, it auto turned on Automatic Proxy Discovery for all Wi-Fi networks. Literally after nearly a month, it was just a tick box that Apple enabled when updating which coincided with the day I changed the router.

Just in case anyone else who is having this issue doesn't know how to turn this off, I will list the steps below

1. Click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen, then select System Preferences
  2. Select Network
  3. On the Preference Pane, click the Advance button
  4. Click the Proxies tab
  5. Un-tick Auto Proxy Discovery (make sure all un-ticked unless you are actually using a proxy)
  6. Click Ok
  7. On the bottom of the Preferences Pane, click Apply and wait about 20 seconds. Everything should be working.

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jijimon2000,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you were having issues with macOS Monterey. 

We are glad that the issue has since been resolved and we appreciate your last post which can help others regarding this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs