cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 keeps going offline

Cazzle18
On our wavelength

We installed our Hub 5 yesterday and for 7 hours we got a green flashing light. Rang customer service and they couldn't help. They said they would get an engineer to ring us this morning between 8am and 12 noon - we haven't heard anything

Today there is a white light on the modem but, it keeps going offline

Checked online after logging into the hub - and it's telling us to move our laptop/phones nearer to the modem - even when I'm stood at the side of the modem

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try connecting on a laptop/computer on an ethernet cable plugged into one of the Hub ports and see if that connects ok and is stable.

You could also do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tried the pinhole reset. It went off another 8 times between 3pm and 4 pm - then went off altogether!

We’ve got a son living at home and going to the local uni - he needs to have access to his pc and recording studio for two hours each night. He is going nuts as he doesn’t want to get behind with his work.

Will the old hub work if we plug it back in? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You should call the activation line and they can reactivate the old hub for you (can only have one active at any one time).

If you upgraded a package at the same time to 1GB they can only reactivate a Hub4 (not Hub3 - cant do 1GB) so if its a Hub3 you will need to downgrade the package - they may be reluctant to do that - but if its within 14 days you are entitled to it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

We had to have a new cable installed from the house and to the connection box on the next street. Apparently, the old one had been overstretched. The only issue we're having now is the wifi signal reaching the children's rooms - we have quite a large house. I enquired about wifi boosters/pods and was told it depended which package we're on. As far as I'm aware it's the highest package available

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Good to hear connection is fine - wifi is always flaky - see this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  150 or  0345 454 1111 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi there @Cazzle18

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, also a big thank you to @jbrennand for their help on this so far. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you were experiencing issues with your connection, have you since been able to resolve this? 

Was the provide information able to inform you about the Pods? 

Thank you.