cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 issues

JDCjdc
Tuning in

Some of my smart devices will not connect to my new HUB 5.

Upgraded from HUB 3, which worked fine, but some switches and other devices will not connect, even after resetting them, deleting them from my smart apps and putting them into pairing mode before attempting to add them back into my smart apps.

They will still connect if I reconnect to my old network ID & password, but not to the new HUB 5 ID & password. I tried disabling the 5Gig as some will only work on 2.4 Gig, but still the same.

I am now forced to go back to manual operation of the devices that will not connect.

I am going to try re-commissioning my HUB 3 tomorrow, as this worked perfectly with all my devices.

Also, the Virgin Media Connect App does not support Hub 4 or 5! What is going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JDCjdc, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns.

The Hub 5 is still in an early development stage at the moment, so there may be devices that don't work with the Hub - what messages do you receive from those devices that you can't get online with?

Please be assured that we're working on developing the Connect App to work with Hubs 4 and 5 so thanks for your patience in advance of this.
Please let us know if you need any further help or even support with re-connecting your Hub 3 if required.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JDCjdc, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns.

The Hub 5 is still in an early development stage at the moment, so there may be devices that don't work with the Hub - what messages do you receive from those devices that you can't get online with?

Please be assured that we're working on developing the Connect App to work with Hubs 4 and 5 so thanks for your patience in advance of this.
Please let us know if you need any further help or even support with re-connecting your Hub 3 if required.

Many thanks

Tom_W

@JDCjdc if the hub 5 is operational, ie you can get internet connectivity through it, then it means it has been activated on your account and hence the hub 3 will no longer work if you just connect it up. You will need to call VM to get them to reactivate the 3 on your account which might be a bit of a struggle, your best option might be if you get no help from the normal customer services, is to call back and follow the 'thinking of leaving us' option. Say that the equipment you have been sent is not working for you, it has been openly admitted that the hub 5 is still in an "early development stage" and there "might well be devices which don't work with it", it is therefore not fit for purpose and you request, no, demand they reactivate the 3.

Fingers crossed, though it might well all go smoothly for you and you get the 3 reactivated with no fuss - just best to be prepared!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The hub 5 is better in modem mode then get your own WiFi router with 1Gb ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that info Tom. So we are guineapigs testing the HUB 5 are we? ☹️

I only get error messages from the various apps, (Smart Life, eWeLink etc), telling me that pairing has failed.

I have found a temporary workaround (albeit not very satisfactory).

When I powered up my Boosters, (2 off them), I found that they are still configured to use my old network ID, so I now have 2 wifi networks running in the house. (The HUB 5 seems to have better coverage and reaches more of the house, so the boosters are not as necessary).

I have managed to re-connect all but 1 of my smart devices that didn't connect to my new HUB 5 network, via my boosters running under my old network ID. (I suspect that the one I can't connect is possibly faulty).

Thanks for your support and looking forward to the teething problems of the HUB 5 to be sorted.

Best regards, JDC

Thanks for that info jem101, I have found a temporary work around using my Virgin Boosters. When I re-connected them, I found that they are still using my old network ID, so re-connected the devices that didn't work using my booster network. 🙂

Thanks for the update @JDCjdc and we will certainly pass on your feedback!

If there is anything else we can assist with in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Have a lovely weekend!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs