cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 flakiness

AndyJUK
Tuning in

I really don't know if this is just me, or if it is a widespread issue, but does anyone else notice that the Hub5 is just plain... flaky?

I have lost track of the number of times my WiFi devices can't connect until I reboot the hub, the number of times I get http 500 errors when trying to log into the hub interface which results in ANOTHER reboot, and various other... niggles.

I get that I got this hub as part of a trial, but SURELY there is some form of ongoing development on these things, especially if they are being rolled out to a wider audience now!

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its flaky because as it is not on general release yet - just to invited customers - they are effectively testing it for VM and discovering that... well its flaky... but you are helping to find the issues for futuer firmware updates to try and resolve.

If you don want to play their game call in and ask for your old Hub to be re-activated (if you still have it) or - get them to send out a replacement Hub3/4 and you return the Hub5

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I have solid reason to believe a firmware upgrade is imminent for Hub 5's, but at the time of writing my Hub 5 is still on firmware LG-RDK_2.23.16-2106.14 that dates back at least to December of last year.  Whether you want to wait a few weeks and see if anything changes is your call.

In my case the firmware isn't causing problems but that's because my Hub is in modem mode with router and wifi provided by my TP-Link mesh system.  This also means that when from time to time VM ship out further firmware that introduces new and unplanned bugs, my wifi continues ticking over nicely, wholly unaffected by the slings and arrows of outrageous firmware. 

Note that if you don't have your old Hub 3, and ask for one again chances are it'll be a customer return - some of these are now up to seven or eight years old, may have been through multiple hands, and been subject to little or no inspection or quality control before being re-boxed and sent out again.  In some cases with these reissued hubs, the box is of higher value and better quality than its contents.

jem101
Superstar

@AndyJUK wrote:

I really don't know if this is just me, or if it is a widespread issue, but does anyone else notice that the Hub5 is just plain... flaky?

I have lost track of the number of times my WiFi devices can't connect until I reboot the hub, the number of times I get http 500 errors when trying to log into the hub interface which results in ANOTHER reboot, and various other... niggles.

I get that I got this hub as part of a trial, but SURELY there is some form of ongoing development on these things, especially if they are being rolled out to a wider audience now!

No, I promise that it isn’t just you, the issues you mention have been widely reported by quite a few users now. The question of exactly how widespread is a difficult one - I suspect that the vast majority never look at the web interface and just use the hub as-it and so never encounter any issues. Others, such as @Andrew-G run it in modem mode and hence are somewhat insulated from most bugs features. It does appear to have some ‘problems' with some WiFi devices, not all true, but that is of small comfort if you happen to be using such a device!

Originally the telephony provision didn’t work but that, I believe, now does so there may have been some progress. But other than a bit of an expansion of the trial phase, there is no large-scale rollout of the 5 nor do there seem to be any imminent signs of this happening. Since the 5 was first released for unsuspecting beta testers trial users back in, what, November of last year and is still not ready for mass release, might give you some indication of its fitness for purpose and the somewhat glacial nature of VM in addressing this!

OK bottom line, for whatever reason, it just isn't working for you whereas the previous model did - so really what VM need are more customers calling them up and saying ‘sorry but this equipment is not fit for purpose, stop palming it off on users and pretending that all is well. I want it replaced with a working model of hub or I insist on leaving without penalty on the grounds of the company’s inability or refusal to provide functioning hardware’.

Yes there is a chance that you end up with a Hub 3 which appears to have been pulled out of a skip, but that might well be more functional than what you have now.

Call them up, follow the 'thinking of leaving us' option and see what happens.

AndyJUK
Tuning in

Thanks everyone, I’m glad to know it isn’t just me having issues. 

im not thinking of sending it back (the hub 3 was p*ssinf me off even more) so fingers crossed VM DOES release a firmware (for once) which resolves things (nudge nudge, hint hint VM)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use your service by using hub in modem mode and getting your own router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

That will be after I move house