cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 fails wifi connection

drjotty
On our wavelength

I think my hub 5 is failing? I've had it over a year and for the past 2 months since I renewed my contract I can't connect to WiFi on my laptop or phone. Some times it connects for a while if I reboot the router but that isn't practical with partner working from home. Ethernet connections to pc and games consoles are fine. I can see the WiFi but it won't let me connect. 

I did go in settings last week and it all looked fine my devices are not blocked I even set up a guest network but can't see that at all?

How.do I go about getting a replacement hub or is there a firmware update or some thing?

I have looked for similar posts and there are a few with hub 5 but no solutions.

26 REPLIES 26

Hi drjotty, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. It certainly is a bit of a head scratcher. 

It sounds as though you've made a few changes to the settings at different times so I think the best thing to do is to complete a reset of the hub. Hold the reset button in for a minimum of 45 seconds to ensure everything full resets. This will revert things back to default which is best for the optimised connection. 

The smart plugs or extenders you're currently using, were these provided to you by us or did you purchase these yourself? Can you leave them out of your network for now just for diagnostic purposes? 

Keep us posted on how things. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

drjotty
On our wavelength

I have already reset the hub a few times to try and clear this issue.

Can the hub run out of ip addresses?

My android and now.my family iPhone can see but when they connect to wifi have no Internet even though the lan,s do.

Some times it works some.times it.doesnt.

I am still thinking it.is a faulty hub

drjotty
On our wavelength

The smart switches are under kitchen cabinets and control lights using Alex's. I say lights on and the counter lights come on except mostly now they don't which means crawling dismantling and reconfigure ing them to the same virgin hub again then they might work for a bit same as my phones.

The extender I bought as the virgin hub does not reach either my bedroom or other room from the lounge where the hub is next to the TV as that is where the cable comes in the house not central so can't be moved. I have run lan cables up to the spare room for home office. Yesterday the TV which is 3ft from hub  on 10ft cable said no cable connection.  I unplugged and replaced mtuple times it said connected but then when I went to utube said no connection check cable. I reset the hub to clear it. Not ideal when one of us is working g from home.

The hub has never reached 40% of the house. Where a bt hub upstairs used to.

The smartplugs and extender used to work fine until I renewed my contract in August. No equipment was renewed but I did drop virgin TV as I couldn't afford the cost. 

Other companies offer the  same deal and speeds now the street has fibre to it.

My phone is connected OK right now but I know later it won't. And the kitchen lights won't work too.

Alexa rarely can't connect but mostly does.

Either something was changed your end when I renewed or the hub isn't as powerful as it should be or it is faulty. The hub is in the open above house radiator height no other interference nearby.

It isn't my phone as the iPhone have same trouble.

I have reset hub a few times only changing password and name to something we all remember.

If it was a setting then it would be all the time.

The extender has a same name but with ext on the end so we know what we connect to which seems to stay connected. So when we can't connect to virgin hub WiFi on full bars we still might on the 'wifiext' even though it is almost out of range where we are stood.

It really is driving me mad and wishing we had gone to a rival that has a stronger wifi 

drjotty
On our wavelength
i have just gone into hub on pc and can see 21 devices connected in total, is that the limit for the hub 5 router?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet allows 254 stations on a segment with a net mask of 255.255.255.0 which used on you installation. The actual number of devices available to be connected is a bit like a piece of elastic, all depends if they are active together and also how much data is involved. I very much doubt that VM has stress tested any of their hubs to find out exactly how many might be connected at once. Don’t forget connected devices does not equal active devices.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

drjotty
On our wavelength

thanks, i just did a test on the hub and i have 16 wireless devices connected.12 of which are low signal strength, i am still convinced it is a faulty hub.

now my pc on ethernet stopped to check connection while doing a down load for a game.

not happy, how do i get a replacement hub?

Your home network has a few problems.

Checking Broadband Service

Checking Ethernet Connections

If you still think something is wrong, please check the following:

The temperature of your Hub 5 is normal.

Your broadband connection is working.

Gateway IPv4 address is valid.

Your broadband connection is ready.

There is no telephone service.

There may be devices in your wired network which might be limiting your in-home connectivity.

The device [REMOVED]  has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 5.

The device [REMOVED] has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 5.

The device [REMOVED]  has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 5.

The device [REMOVED] has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 5.

The device [REMOVED] has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 5.

Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 5.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

Hi @drjotty,

I have ran some checks on our system and at the time of writing, haven't been able to identify any issues. 

Appreciate you did some tests yourself as per your last post and you were advised of some issues with your home network.

Did you follow the advise provided after running the tests?

How have things been since?

Let us know so we can offer further support if needed.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That's exactly my issue.

Driving me mad. 

drjotty
On our wavelength

Once again roday I can't connect to my home WiFi. My phone says...

"There was a problem authenticating from your phone to the network

Turn router and phone off an on again.

If your router is filtering by mac address...."

It then goes on to suggest making my phone a fixed mac address instead of a more secure random...

Yet I can connect to my range extender every time with out these issues which is connected to router via WiFi.

Please can I swap out my router for a new one as I am convince it is failing as for the previous year it worked fine, my phone hasn't changed. And this all started to be a problem when I renewed my contract in August when the WiFi started to not connect and the whole household is blaming me when they have issues.

While the virgin WiFi was never as good as the bt WiFi coverage at least I could connect while in the same room before. Now it makes its own mind up if it let's me or not regardless of signal strength.

I don't know what else to try as it is no longer reliable even on ethernet cables too.

Please can you send me a new router to swap out.

drjotty
On our wavelength

I just tried a static up address on my phone still i could not connect.

I tried forget and re find network put in password wrong, no connection, right password could not connect after connecting to network and not getting ip address.

I set up a vm guest wifi and it can connect.

Switch to my WiFi net work and no ip address.

So clearly it is nothing to do with my phone settings. I have already factory reset router. My phone is not blocked on the mac set up as I have NO mac filtering set up.

I will try and call vm on the phone as clearly I am.not getting the service I am paying for ie WiFi connectivity. But I just know that will be loads of hassle and tens of hours trying to get hold of anyone I just want a replacement hub as I am convinced mine is faulty