cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 fails wifi connection

drjotty
On our wavelength

I think my hub 5 is failing? I've had it over a year and for the past 2 months since I renewed my contract I can't connect to WiFi on my laptop or phone. Some times it connects for a while if I reboot the router but that isn't practical with partner working from home. Ethernet connections to pc and games consoles are fine. I can see the WiFi but it won't let me connect. 

I did go in settings last week and it all looked fine my devices are not blocked I even set up a guest network but can't see that at all?

How.do I go about getting a replacement hub or is there a firmware update or some thing?

I have looked for similar posts and there are a few with hub 5 but no solutions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I’m having the exact same issues. All was fine around 12 hours ago. No issues in connecting devices via WiFi. 

router is in exact same location as always. Any device I try to connect says unable to obtain IP address. Wired connection is fine. Done a power off power on again, pinhole reset etc. On devices I’ve done forget network, reset etc to zero avail. 

Again, was WiFi working perfectly fine 12 hours ago but today it’s refusing to allow any connections. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Be faster to put it in modem mode and look for a better wifi router.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi drjotty, 

Thank you for posting to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the WiFi in your home, we will do all we can to help. 

Before proceeding with diagnostic checks, can you please take a look at our support/troubleshooting page here

Please let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Nat

drjotty
On our wavelength

Nothing wrong with broadband coming in house just the hub 5 won't allow all my devices on the WiFi all the time. So a WiFi extenderni use connects and I can c9nnect to that with my Samsung s10+ phone but I can't connect to the WiFi directly. I trys and says no Internet so drops off to 4g.

Some times my smart plugs don't connect which makes them not work with alexa. So 8 can't turn the lights on. 

My sons ipad seemed to connect okay today whole my phone in my other hand not 5 ft from the blooming hubb5 couldn't.

I have been In settings on both hub an phone and all is as it should be. If I reboot the hub them it works for an hour or so then I am locked out again. The hub 5 is crap. When I was with bt their WiFi always worked. Even before I renewed my virgi  contract in August it worked. Now I am tied in for another w8 months it is only 10% WiFi working

drjotty
On our wavelength

Again this morning phone can see home WiFi network but can't connect fails. Phone suggests turning both off an on and mentioned ip address and making fixed mac address which I have already tried. Yet I can get connected to my WiFi nether extender which also connects to router via WiFi. 

I have been I  hub settings and my phone isn't blocked. 

Why won't my virgin router let me connect to WiFi with some devices. Is there a limit to the amount of devices I can connect even if most are not active.

Never had this trouble  with bt

Hi drjotty,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've had some trouble with devices connecting to the WiFi. 

The Hub's location could be causing the interference problem – check that it is:

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones
  • Away from microwaves

Can you confirm that none of the above are applicable?

Alex_Rm

I’m having the exact same issues. All was fine around 12 hours ago. No issues in connecting devices via WiFi. 

router is in exact same location as always. Any device I try to connect says unable to obtain IP address. Wired connection is fine. Done a power off power on again, pinhole reset etc. On devices I’ve done forget network, reset etc to zero avail. 

Again, was WiFi working perfectly fine 12 hours ago but today it’s refusing to allow any connections. 

drjotty
On our wavelength

The hub is not blocked in any way ,I can be sat on sofa 8ft away in same room directly infront and still no ip address, or can't connect on WiFi.  It is connected r8ght now in next room but I know if I leave the house and come back it then won't connect even if I search and.click connect, it will cycle test drop.and then try another network ie the WiFi extender at the far of the house or switch to mobile data. 

It has no pattern I am.convinced it is a faulty hub WiFi. I have factory reset hub and made new name an password before but it still is 50/50 if I can connect to the hub or not using WiFi even at full strength signal.

It isn't the strength of the signal it is the hub won't let me connect, no ip etc

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses drjotty,

To clarify on this, is the network name visible when you are trying to connect?

Also are any error messages appearing? 

Regards,

Kain

drjotty
On our wavelength

yes the network is visible and mostly full strength phone tries joining, tests network then rejects it as no ip.