cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 drops connection @ won’t reconnect

reck
On our wavelength

Since we’ve had the hub 5 we’ve got a problem in the house where a device, tablet, phone etc will drop the WiFi connection and then doesn’t reconnect. 

When this happens and we select our WiFi network on the device it will either just try and connect and never manage it or it will say invalid password. 

When this happens the only way we’ve found to fix it is to reboot the Hub 5. It only ever affects one device at a time as well and everything else continues to be connected to the WiFi fine.

This is costing us money because when it happens on our phone we don’t know it’s switched to 4G and we end up using all the data and have to purchase more. 

This happened last week with my sons iPhone and today it’s happened to mine. 

Is anyone aware of a fix for this? Thanks. 

62 REPLIES 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@reck wrote:

This is costing us money because when it happens on our phone we don’t know it’s switched to 4G and we end up using all the data and have to purchase more. 

Theirs a feature on phones to turn off 4G 

VM can't get a break with these hubs having problems but they should work fine in modem mode which you can get your own wifi router with 1Gb ports to have a stable connection. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

@reck do you still happen to have your older hub there or have you sent it back?

If you stil have it then what I would suggest is you call VM and demand that they reactive your older hub on the grounds that the hub 5 is not ‘fit for purpose’ otherwise you want to cancel your VM subscription without penalty and move to another supplier.

Bottom line, the Hub 5 is still in a ‘trial mode and not entirely fully baked’ - were you aware of this? No? 

reck
On our wavelength

Thanks for the link Cardiffman. Just checked the proxy setting on my iPhone and it’s already set to off so unfortunately this doesn’t help. 

reck
On our wavelength

Jem my older router has been sent back. 

I had no idea I was part of a testing program. VM offered my the Hub 5 (previous had a 3) so I said yes. There was nothing in the email saying it was part in a trial. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@reck wrote:

Jem my older router has been sent back. 
I had no idea I was part of a testing program. VM offered my the Hub 5 (previous had a 3) so I said yes. There was nothing in the email saying it was part in a trial. 

If you are not using the Pods, try splitting the SSID on the Hub and manually choosing the best band for each wifi device.  Also disable the Smart Optimisation on the wifi.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

Try setting the 2.4Ghz band to a lower legacy setting;

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
In the Wireless frequency 2.4GHz select Wireless mode > 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Select Apply changes

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

reck
On our wavelength

What’s the downside to splitting the network like this? I assume it’s not as good as having them linked otherwise they would come pre-split out the box?

How do I know which device should go on which band and wouldn’t this prevent them auto switching to the other band when it would be beneficial?

I’ll try disabling the smart optimisation setting as you suggest but again if it comes pre-enabled is it not doing something useful that I then won’t have when it’s turned off? I’m guessing if it wasn’t working very well or causing issues VM would have disabled it by now.

thanks for the suggestions but I just want to understand what the implications are before I make changes like this.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @reck,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your Hub-5.

How is it for you at the moment?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

reck
On our wavelength

Hi Hayley,

It did the same for my tablet the other night and I had to reboot the router again. Other devices carried on working fine. 

Can you please advise on what the previous poster suggested and confirm if this is the action I need to take to resolve the issue or is there an official fix for this issue?

If I need to split the networks etc could you answer the questions i posted in my previous reply please so I know how to proceed and what downside/issues there may be from making a change like this?

Thanks.