cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 crashing consistently

AJMoff
On our wavelength

Hi,

I was upgraded to the hub 5 some months ago and for the most part it's been really solid.

Since two days ago however I am getting issues with the modem crashing and requiring a hard power reset to re-engage.

Sometimes it will hold for a few hours other times it can go down again within 15 minutes. It effects both my ethernet connections and WiFi connections, both of which only being restored when I switch the modem off and on again.

According to Virgin media's service page there are no recorded issues in my area.

There have been no tech changes in the house and I haven't prior reconfigured anything either. I'm at a loss as to why its happening.

Any support would be greatly appreciated!

24 REPLIES 24

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is The Hub in normal router mode - or in modem mode with your own router?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

AJMoff
On our wavelength

It's in the normal router mode.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there AJMoff,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the service issues faced, from checking our service I can see some readings that will need addressing.

I've dropped you a PM so we can discuss further.

Many thanks,

Kain

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Problems will be solved by using the hub in modem mode and get your own wifi router with 1Gb ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

AJMoff
On our wavelength

Is there a reason for this?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your cooperation over PM AJMoff,

That appointment has now been booked in for you.

If for any reason you need to reschedule, you can via your MyVM account.

Let us know how the visit goes,

Kain

Hi AJMoff,

Thank you for supplying the requested details via PM, I've now booked in the next available engineer slot for you as requested- to view the appointment time slot or rearrange, please head over and sign into your Online Account 
  and go to 'my orders and appointments.

Please do let us know how the visit goes and if you need anything else from us in the meantime. 

Regards

Paul.

AJMoff
On our wavelength

Odd conclusion to this one.

On Thursday I get a notification that Virgin Media are conducting maintenance in my area and to expect an outage. My modem gets a flashing red light. I think nothing of it and go to work - but I come back and find that whatever work was done it has rectified the issue. I've now gone 3 days without an outtage - so whatever it was that caused it, I'll likely never know, but Virgin sorted it in the end.

Thanks to all for the ongoing support.

Hey AJMoff, thank you for reaching out and I am glad your issues as now been resolved.

I can see there was work being for for 4 days however this has now ended, has the connection been okay since?

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

AJMoff
On our wavelength

This issue appears to have returned again.

At present it appears to be hourly - the router's connection fails then reconnects, both wired and wireless.

I have attempted a factory reset and the power-down process without success.

Has there been a firmware update recently that would cause this to reoccur? I have otherwise had no change in circumstances that would lead to this. Is there potential to check if there are any SNR issues in my area?

Thank-you in advance.