Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 bricking after switching to Modem Mode

pointzero
Tuning in

Hi.

Received a Hub 5.

• Connecting via ethernet adapter manually configured to 192.168.0.5.
  • Has not been connected to VM Coax as to avoid disruption to existing service.
  • Initial device setup completes fine (language select, password reset, wireless settings)
  • Interface works fine. All settings configurable/usable/toggle'able.
  • Device bricks after changing to Modem Mode.

After clicking Apply, the device fails to reset (light stays flashing red), seemingly fails to reconfigure itself to be reachable via 192.168.100.1, as after updating local ethernet to be 192.168.100.5 - no ping and no HTTP interface available.

Device remains ping'able via 192.168.0.1 - although interface is now unreachable. Rebooting the device brings it back up with only ping to 192.168.0.1. No interface. Nothing on 192.168.100.1.

Factory Reset restores successfully, and device is then reachable again via 192.168.0.1.

Have tried 6-7 times, using different ethernet ports, disabling wireless first, then switching. No change in end result.

Anyone had same/similar issue?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Hero

DOCSIS Hubs have almost no functionality in isolation.

Connect the Hub 5 to the coax cable & then switch to modem mode.

Resistance is futile !

My current Hub 3 is in Modem Mode. Interface is always reachable via 192.168.100.1.

Connecting new Hub would switch service off for my Hub 3 locking me into Router Mode on this hub till Modem Mode can be fixed.

Not cool with that.

also; there's no reason why a management interface would never be available, unless of fault.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pointzero wrote:

Hi.

Received a Hub 5.

•  
  • Has not been connected to VM Coax as to avoid disruption to existing service.
  •  

Thanks!

It needs connecting to the coax

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi pointzero, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

The Hub 5 is a replacement for the Hub 3 and once delivered, the Hub 3 will likely become inactive within a few days. 

You will need to connect the Hub 5 via the coax cable in order for it to work. 

If after doing this you are still having issues, please pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@pointzero wrote:

My current Hub 3 is in Modem Mode. Interface is always reachable via 192.168.100.1.

Connecting new Hub would switch service off for my Hub 3 locking me into Router Mode on this hub till Modem Mode can be fixed.

Not cool with that.

also; there's no reason why a management interface would never be available, unless of fault.

disconnect the HUB3, plug in the hub 5 with coax connected. Within 10 minutes job done. Modem mode.

Needs to be connected to reconfigure for modem mode...

@pointzero wrote:

See what happens when you disconnect Coax from your hub 3 then try 192.168.100.1 it will not work or at least over time when it tries to arp to the WAN getaway it will fail. The reason for this is the bridge picks up traffic going to 192.168.100.1 to the WAN gateway so no Coax no arp no WAN gateway.

If you configure a PC to to use 192.168.100.2/24 gateway 192.168.100.1 then you should be able to get to 192.168.100.1    

---------------------------------------------------------------

To update and close/resolve thread.

Hub5 config is locked until the modem syncs with the mothership.

So whilst I was unable to configure the device as I needed to prior to connecting, once connected, I was able to make the adjustment.

It wasn't clear that this would be the case but once confirmed by engineer at VM - I was happy to try it and see, with the agreement that the engineer could reactive my Hub3 if things hit the fan.

Hi @pointzero 

Thank you for updating us . Glad to hear that you were able to connect and make the needed adjustments. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley