cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 and Deco

Wheldcj
On our wavelength

Hi all 

Recieved my Hub 5 yesterday after an invite email.  I hadn’t realised until i came on here how exclusive it was!!

Anyway i have a Deco mesh system already which i used with my hub 3. So i have literally just whacked it in and put the new hub on modem mode.

Is this likely to improve performance or are all the benefits of this new hub the wifi range and reliability.  In which case does my Deco become redundant and i should return it to wifi mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stobbsy74
Superfast

Because its very exclusive most people here won't know. The only way is try for yourself by putting back into router mode. The hub 5 is wifi 6, so might be faster than your deco system, depending on your wifi devices.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Stobbsy74
Superfast

Because its very exclusive most people here won't know. The only way is try for yourself by putting back into router mode. The hub 5 is wifi 6, so might be faster than your deco system, depending on your wifi devices.

Also, despite being Wifi 6, the Hub 5 won't have the coverage and range of the Deco.  With the Deco you've got three access points, the hub is a singleton, and for the presumably majority of devices that run in 802.11ac or slower then they may well suffer significant degradation in performance if relying on the Hub 5 alone.  Personally I'd put the hub in modem mode and rely on the Deco (I use a similar system myself with a Hub 3), and sit out the benefits of Wifi 6 until it is more common, and then, only if there's real domestic need I'd buy a Wifi 6 mesh.

You could of course mix and match - run the Hub 5 in router mode, run the Deco in access point mode, keep network names different and only give Wifi 6 devices the hub's credentials (as well as those for the Deco), everything else runs only on the Deco.  Obviously you're taking a small chance on the competence of the Hub 5's router capabilities, and you'd be relying on the Deco and Hub 5 to play nicely in terms of channel choices, but if you've got the time and inclination that would be an interesting approach that might make best use of the Deco mesh, whilst still permitting Wifi 6 devices to try their stuff.  With Wifi 6 devices having both networks credentials, you rely on them to auto-select as they see fit.  If you do that, there's people here who would be intrigued by how it works in practice.

I received mine yesterday, Replacement for my buggy hub 3 (which I have had so many issues with). 

Put mine in modem mode, connected to my Eero mesh, looking good so far (as far as 24 hours goes) 

Will report back here if any issues materialize 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you try the experiment Andrew suggested in the last paragraph of message 3 above ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.