cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 & FTP

lemarsh
Joining in

My previous Hub was replaced with a Hub 5 last week.

Previously, I have a Synology NAS connected to the Hub, and could connect to the NAS via FTP (either direct to internal IP address 192.168.0.xx) & from outside using a DNS

But since i have changed to the Hub 5, i can access externally. I have set up Port forwarding to the IP address, but it just fails all the time

'The data connection could not be established: ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server'

I have reviewed the NAS, and all seems to be there (all accounts till FTP allowed, and have proven this by FTP internally)

Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The message implies that it’s the NAS box refusing the connection. Check that there are no firewall rules in the NAS box, your external WAN address may have changed with the new hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a full 60 second pinhole reset and do not reboot the Hub, just let it initialise itself. Some users have reported this downloads the latest firmware for the Hub 5. NOTE - the Hub 5 is still in invite only trials and problems are to be expected. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

so to make sure i have this right - press the factory reset button under the hub for 60 seconds and just let it do its thing?

I have done a factory reset one - but not for that length of time

and sorry - meant to say thanks to both responses here. will try both

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lemarsh wrote:

so to make sure i have this right - press the factory reset button under the hub for 60 seconds and just let it do its thing?

I have done a factory reset one - but not for that length of time

Yes that’s correct. It seems to be an optimal time judging by previous threads. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ok - so reset from 1 minute, and let it do its thing. With no BAS drive connect no port forwarding rules, but as son i i connect NAS,following rules applied

lemarsh_0-1640533696993.png

Then went to NAS and run a router set-up and got this

lemarsh_1-1640533739727.png

but continued and all seemed OK. Then added in a Port 21 Port forward

lemarsh_2-1640533807388.png

Inrernally works fine - externally, still fails

Status:Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:PWD
Response:257 "/" is current directory.
Command:TYPE I
Response:200 Type set to I.
Command:PASV
Response:227 Entering Passive Mode (86,7,59,102,217,17)
Command:MLSD
Error:The data connection could not be established: ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server

Any help greatfully received?

Or could i go back to my Hub3 box. I know it was turned off - but need External FTP urgently. I was not aware it was Beta, or i would not have accepted the offer of a new hub.

also, not sure if relevant - but last time internally i was accessing 192.168.68.xx which worked,but now 192.168.0.xx - not sure what the defference is between 168 & 0 is

It is the router's job to forward the data ports when operating in passive mode. If the router is "FTP aware", it will do this automatically, if not, you must forward the ports manually (the range of passive ports is defined by the server).

Your NAS's IP address should never be in doubt as it should either be static or (preferably in my view for most homeowners) reserved within the DHCP range. If the hub 5 is having a problem in maintaining its list of reserved IP addresses we need to know.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection