cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 activation issues - very frustrated

jones79
On our wavelength

Long story short. 

Had a Hub 5 that was defective. Got an engineer out who simply swapped out for a new Hub 5, connected cables and left, telling me it could take up to an hour to activate. 

90mins later, still no activation, merely a flashing blue light. I called Virgin up, advised that they’d ran some checks, but the modem wasn’t showing up on their network. They said now another technician would need to come out and that would be in three days time and no Internet in the meantime.

i’m very confused. I’ve gone from having an old hub intermittently working with Internet, to a brand-new hub with no internet that the technician just swapped out failing to check anything.

literally none of the cables have changed from Monday the old hub that was working, so I’m really confused as to why the new hub isn’t working and why it might be a cable issue. 

can anybody offer any tips or advice? Incredibly frustrated by the whole experience . 

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you still have the old Hub? If so put it on and see if that is working - it shouldnt be if the new Hub has replaced it on your account!

It can take an hour or two for ne Hubs to activate so keep at it.

Meanwhile, see whats going on - probably in the morning now - .... Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 (option 3) – you will need the Model numbers, serial numbers/MAC addresses off the barcode stickers of ALL pieces of kit and also your account number

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jones79
On our wavelength

Thanks for the quick response. 

no, the technician took the old one away, so totally disconnected right now. 

im hoping it somehow resolves itself overnight. I tried calling that activation number and that’s how I’ve now ended up with needing to have yet another technician call. 

im *extremely* miffed as literally nothing has changed in my setup bar the swapping of the modem. Double miffed that having had a technician out today, within 90mins I’ve had to arrange another one and am in a far worse position than I was this morning. 

i work from home and this enormously inconvenient and impactful. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Last resort - try this...

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! With the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker so log in and change them back to what they were/should be.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jones79
On our wavelength

Thanks. Tried this and no joy…

Hi jones79, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that there is an issue with the hub, can you confirm if you are experiencing issues with this?

How is the service since posting?

Kind regards, Chris. 

jones79
On our wavelength

Hi Chris

No change whatsoever. Still zero Internet. TV is working fine (apart from any online services). 

Technician is due this afternoon...Will update once I know what the issue is/was in case it helps others. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Connect to the Hub with a browser to 192.168.0.1  -  Do not login, but just click "Router Status" beneath the login box.

What does the Provisioning State show on the Status tab ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jones79
On our wavelength

It says:

Provisioning StateRequesting CM IP addressdhcp_v4_in_progress

jones79
On our wavelength

Should add that it's said that since Saturdah