cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 activation issues - very frustrated

jones79
On our wavelength

Long story short. 

Had a Hub 5 that was defective. Got an engineer out who simply swapped out for a new Hub 5, connected cables and left, telling me it could take up to an hour to activate. 

90mins later, still no activation, merely a flashing blue light. I called Virgin up, advised that they’d ran some checks, but the modem wasn’t showing up on their network. They said now another technician would need to come out and that would be in three days time and no Internet in the meantime.

i’m very confused. I’ve gone from having an old hub intermittently working with Internet, to a brand-new hub with no internet that the technician just swapped out failing to check anything.

literally none of the cables have changed from Monday the old hub that was working, so I’m really confused as to why the new hub isn’t working and why it might be a cable issue. 

can anybody offer any tips or advice? Incredibly frustrated by the whole experience . 

16 REPLIES 16

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, it is not connected for sure then.  Seems very strange, it's as if the cable is disconnected somewhere between the Hub and street cabinet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jones79
On our wavelength

Agree it's strange. Especially as nothing has changed in my setup, and I'm getting TV through the cables. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The older TiVo's used to have their own modems built in, but the I thought the newer kit wouldn't work if the Hub was offline?  Don't have any VM TV stuff so don't know 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jones79
On our wavelength

So it is fixed.

Technician came, and transpires that the new Hub hadn't been registered properly last Saturday....😐😤😡

He did say there had been "activation issues" on Saturday afternoon when the previous technician attended, however, clearly this was an issue and error on Virgin's part. My old Hub was the one still registered on the system.

None of the service center operators whom I spoke with soght to check the mac code on my new box to verify - I asked the technician could they / should they have been able to resolve this remotely, and politely he agreed. In fact he went a step further and suggested they ought to have been able to spot my issue without me having to chase.

Not impressed at all by this episode, must confess and I have raised a formal complaint.

Hi jones79, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that there was an issue with the activation of the hub and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. 

I am glad to hear that the service has now been resolved and that they did a good job when they attended. 

Can you confirm if any further issues have arisen since posting? ^Chris. 

jones79
On our wavelength

No further issues thankfully 

Hi jones79,

Great to hear you have had no further issues, please let us know if you do need any further support.

Regards

Paul.