cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - Workplace VPN

Chris_LH
Tuning in

I have recently 'upgraded' to a hub v5 after accepting an invite to do so. The problem is that it seems to dislike many workplace VPNs, as can be seen elsewhere on this forum There is another post where a VM tech has 'solved' the issue, but this worked for the grand total of 30 minutes, before my connection to workplace VPN dropped off.

So I asked my IT department to have a look and I hope that by sharing this knowledge that it will save everybody some time. I will preface this suggestion for a fix that what worked for me, may not necessarily work for you, but I hope it will.

1. We ended up setting my workplace laptop a static IP under the DHCP settings in the router GUI
  2. We then set the same IP address to be in the DMZ
  3. Restart router.
  4. for good measure, click on the search facility next to your start menu on the taskbar and type 'rasphone', that should bring up a little dialog box that has the name of the default VPN connection (if all is well, it will say 'hang up', otherwise you may need to click 'connect'.

Your issue, all being well, should be solved. I have pinned rasphone directly to my taskbar, so if I do ever find myself disconnected, it will be an easy fix.

I hope that helps anyone with the same problem I was having.

5 REPLIES 5

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Chris! Welcome to the community forum!

Sorry to hear that you had some issues with your Hub 5 and work VPN. 
Really great to hear you were able to find a work around, as sadly we can't support with VPN issues - thank you so much for posting it here for other customers to find and utilise! 

Please let us know if there is anything outstanding we can offer support with. 

Wishing you all the best! 

Molly

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Real fix use modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Molly,

Thanks for your response, quite honestly I still don't understand why the issue has occurred as the only thing that has changed is my hub, all other equipment and configuration has remained the same, which leads me to question why poor quality equipment is being issued on the part of VM. The fact is, that customers shouldn't be having to find workarounds to utilise their work VPNs that worked fine with the service previously due to an 'upgrade' which ends up disadvantaging customers.. Not having a go at you, because I doubt you had anything to do with the production or decision to supply the hub, but quite honestly, it is a poor way of conducting business.

Please feel free to pass my comments on to someone that has the power to resolve properly.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, but I'd rather feed my family and keep the roof over our heads as a priority, point taken though and, realistically, it is the better fix over my cheat method, which no-one should have to do in the first place.

Infuriating!!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can appreciate the frustration,

All feedback will be taken on board, we'll pass the message on regarding this.

Thanks,

Kain