Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Wifi Speed

RussOnlinee
Tuning in

Hi,

I’m new to this forum and not technically minded so please go easy on me 🙂

I’ve just upgraded from the Hub 3 350mb internet and the speeds were great through Wi-Fi and Ethernet. Installed the Hub 5 as I upgraded to the 1GB Volt and the Wi-Fi speeds are not that much faster than the Hub 3 for me.

IPhone 13 Pro is only getting just over 400mbs, the two Xbox Series X and two PS5’s in the bedrooms are only getting around 400mbs, sometimes less. Sometimes I see the Xbox’s switch to the 2.4ghz which then can’t even get over 150mbs.

I created split channels, 2.4ghz and 5ghz ad hooked all the consoles, phones and tablets to the 5ghz which helped, roughly around 400mbs.

Surely I should be getting more than this? 

I’ve phoned Virgin Media, who’re so difficult to deal with. They advised I should not be splitting the SSID.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be great.

cheers Russ

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Legend

"Surely I should be getting more than this?" 

The speeds quoted for WiFi are quite normal, plus no mention of the devices not working.

It is up to the devices to draw more data and many devices don't go any faster because they are already working perfectly.

Console gamesters are obsessed with speed tests, but fail to understand it is latency and jitter disrupting their experience.

Focus more on connection stability than out right speed.

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply but my brother took out the same contract with Virgin, same Hub 5 and is pulling in more download speed. I’m also many people on this forum with a lot more speed then what I’m getting. 

His iPhone was way over 700mps while I struggle past 450mbs. Same for his gaming consoles through Wi-Fi. 

I cannot do another 4 hours on the phone to Virgin. Their customer service is shocking with no help! 

I do not believe the speeds I’m getting is correct. 

Thanks for the reply and wish you a great day.

This article seems to sum things up 

https://www.howtogeek.com/796894/heres-why-you-shouldnt-use-your-phone-for-internet-speed-tests/amp/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

@RussOnlinee wrote:

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply but my brother took out the same contract with Virgin, same Hub 5 and is pulling in more download speed. I’m also many people on this forum with a lot more speed then what I’m getting. 

His iPhone was way over 700mps while I struggle past 450mbs. Same for his gaming consoles through Wi-Fi. 

I cannot do another 4 hours on the phone to Virgin. Their customer service is shocking with no help! 

I do not believe the speeds I’m getting is correct. 

Thanks for the reply and wish you a great day.

But presumably he’s in a different house and therefore different environment? Different neighbours and building.

Are all conditions the same?

Have you tried testing with a PC/laptop and wired connection?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Samknows Realspeed

Speed test the service to a router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

Hi,

I ran a speed test with a CAT8E Ethernet to the laptop and also struggled to get over 350mbs.

The only device that was high was the PS5 in the living room, connected with a CAT8E Ethernet cable and that gets around 850mbs with 40mps upload.

Every single device through Wi-Fi seems low speed to what I was expecting. I’m not expecting crazy speeds but certainly would imagine over 450mbs, especially with devices capable of Wi-Fi 6. I’ve phoned Virgin Media this morning and they recognised there is a fault. As quoted by them “ Should be received more download speed then what I’m receiving “ 

Aa advised, I’m not technically minded and struggle with this sort of thing but the jump from 350mbs contract to a 1GB contract, I certainly expected more!

Im hoping the tech guy can resolve this issue later this evening.

Regards

Russ

Reboot your laptop into Safe Mode + Networking and re-run the network cabled speed test.

Has the speed increased by significant amount ?   ( e.g. past 500Mb/s )

I will give this a try this evening once I’ve finished work and will advise the findings.

I live in a semi detached house and my area, as well as my postcode shows I should be receiving the speeds advised.

I appreciate you help and advise.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey RussOnlinee,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your hub 5 WiFi speed, I have looked into this on our system and can see that you have ordered a WiFi pod after speaking to a member of the team. I hope that the pod can resolve the issues that you're having, please let us know how it goes, once you have been able to install your pod.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L