cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Port Forwarding

HewitG
Joining in

Hi All, 

I think the new Hub has a software bug and cant find anywhere to log it! When I try and add a port I get an error to try later and this is pretty constant no matter what port or IP I try and forward.

I also get an error when i try and review the network log!

14 REPLIES 14

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Can you use DMZ?

If you want port forwarding you need to use the hub in modem mode and get a router with 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm struggling to understand your logic, you're suggesting the most advanced virgin hub cant perform the most basic of network hub functions of port forwarding without buying 3rd part switch and switching the hub 5 to modem mode. the hub 3 and 4 could perform basic port forwarding without issue.... this just seems like an ignorant response? seriously... 

@HewitG wrote:

I'm struggling to understand your logic, you're suggesting the most advanced virgin hub cant perform the most basic of network hub functions of port forwarding without buying 3rd part switch and switching the hub 5 to modem mode. the hub 3 and 4 could perform basic port forwarding without issue.... this just seems like an ignorant response? seriously... 

It’s the correct response. And don’t call VM hubs advanced - it makes the other hubs angry

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi,

Please keep things polite and respectful or the thread may be locked due to off topic discussions. 

Thanks

Melissa

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HewitG wrote:

I'm struggling to understand your logic, you're suggesting the most advanced virgin hub cant perform the most basic of network hub functions of port forwarding <snip>. 

Remember the Hub 5 has just left Trials status and is now in Soft Launch.  There are still firmware issues to resolve and this may be one of them.  VM are currently working on new firmware releases and hopefully a fix is in the pipeline.

If you really can't wait, ask for a Hub 3 or 4 to be re-instated as the Hub 5 is not working for you at present.

As an aside, in the many, many years I've been with NTL/VM, I've never used any of the Hub iterations as Routers, they go straight to Modem mode, as I have my own IT kit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

zeem
Joining in

I've just fixed this on my Hub 5. The issue is that the IP you're forwarding to must lie inside the router's DHCP scope, regardless of whether DHCP is enabled or not. Here's a summary of my setup and what I did to fix it:

• My server is on 192.168.0.12, this runs Pi-hole and so is my DHCP server
  • My router's DHCP is normally disabled, but the scope was set to give out 50 addresses starting at 192.168.0.200, so I could quickly enable it in case the server crashes.
  • I enabled the router's DHCP, changed the scope to give out 253 addresses starting at 192.168.0.2, then disabled DHCP again
  • This then allowed me to add the port forwarding rules and I tested that it works.

Hope that helps!

Why is the most common answer of anyone when there is an issue with hub 5 "ask to be downgraded".

I don't think it unreasonable to ask VM to actually LOOK at these forums, LOOK at the issues that are being found (which is the WHOLE POINT of a beta test) and oh, I don't know... FIX THEM!

A flaw which means you can't port forward to an IP outside of the DHCP scope is a PRETTY LARGE FLAW in my opinionated shouldn't still be present 6 months later.  VM seems to have done a "fire and forget" with respect to ANY firmware changes

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Because its not a bug its a feature VM do not care about how port forwarding is working they see it as working by DHCP they don't support static IP's hell they might say its a feature to allow outgoing connections on a static IP but the router can never have ports forwarded to static IP's!

Use modem mode which you must DHCP to get a WAN IP so ports are forwarded.

---------------------------------------------------------------

RickSmith
Joining in

Let's be frank, the history of the hubs has been poor throughout. Wi-Fi connections dropping, lack of the ability to perform any sort of advanced change of settings that you can perform on every other providers equipment.

I used to run various game servers just for myself, my brother-in-law and a couple of friends so that we didn't need to lug whole pc systems around for a lan party and could all sit in our own homes. Since being forced to install the hub 5 this is no longer possible as I cannot configure the port forwarding  or set up specific rules for the firewall but access from my security cameras through the hub is unhindered and open for attack!

So, in short unless I spend additional money on a decent Wi-Fi router and switch the virgin brick5 to modem mode I am stuck until virgin decide to do something about this backwards step by upgrading the software or replacing it with something fit for purpose.

We are not all reckless, stupid, uneducated or asking for anything that is not commonplace on any other router out there. I am used to industrial networks of a far greater complexity than that we are all having to endure and this would never be acceptable in that environment.

Pull your finger out Virgin media and give the public something fit for purpose instead of yet another useless brick that sits on a shelf.