cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - PC not connecting to wifi

polobraonain
On our wavelength

Hi all

I have a new hub 5.  Everything connected to the new wifi except my PC.   Its a wireless connection.  I tried troubleshooter,(it states that "Wifi does not have a valid IP configuration"  reseting network settings, ipconfig resets, dns flushing and a few other tips online.  It just wont connect.  It connects no problem to the hotspot on my phone so wifi on PC seems ok.  Its just the Hub 5 wont recognise each other or something.  It just says that its connected, secured and no internet.

Is there a setting I need to change on the hub or something I can do on the PC.  I tried suspending firewall and no difference.  I only have microsoft anti V.  No other.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

Is the WiFi adapter/card built in or external (USB etc.) ?

Check if the WiFi drivers are all up to date.

Try different settings on the Hub WiFi - band, channels, security

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

g0akc
Problem sorter

Is the WiFi adapter/card built in or external (USB etc.) ?

Check if the WiFi drivers are all up to date.

Try different settings on the Hub WiFi - band, channels, security

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

wifi is built in

drivers are up to date.  I also unistalled and reinstalled etc

I split the wifi up into 2.4 and 5ghz with separate names and tried to connect - 5gh didnt show up and same issue when connected to 2.4.

This was not a problem prior to getting the hub 5, so I presume it may be something to do with the hub setting.  what do you think I should try and change?  How do I change security?

Thanks for reply!!

It might be fixed in 6 months or you can fix it by getting your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All ...

While I can see where legacy1 is coming from.

It never ceases to utterly AMAZE me how many times long-standing members of the Community suggest that we, (as customers expecting a functioning service), go out and buy additional equipment, to make something that we are paying for perform anywhere near as advertised.

WHEN are VM going to realise, that they need to start providing what WE ARE ALL PAYING FOR ???!!!

(Don't bother answering, the question was rhetorical, given we know it's never going to happen)

😠

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Its not going to happen people want cheap broadband = cheap hubs at least modem mode gets you the service you are really paying for.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I 100% agree ...

So, hmm, one of my first thought would be ... Stop this:

Virgin Media's owner faces a shareholder revolt for paying its boss $1 million a week during the pandemic. Mike Fries, the American chief executive of London-based Liberty Global, pocketed $52 million (£36.7 million) last year, even as the broadband and TV provider was hit with a deluge of customer complaints.

Put some of that BACK into the customers' pockets. Supply better broadband, supply better hubs ...

As I said, no disrespect to you legacy1, but they need to do better in my humble opinion.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

long-standing members of the Community suggest that we, (as customers expecting a functioning service), go out and buy additional equipment” We only make this suggestion because we KNOW it will work. People have to realise that VM supply them with a broadband connection with basic WiFi equipment. I have never ever run my connection in router mode. I can afford my own equipment, but I appreciate that this is not possible for everyone.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Steve1701 wrote:

<snip>  

WHEN are VM going to realise, that they need to start providing what WE ARE ALL PAYING FOR ???!!!

Name one ISP that can provide a single router that covers all possible properties and scenarios? 
It’s never going to happen. 
Users should be educated to realise there is no such thing as a single solution.

Modem mode is there for a reason and why I choose to run my own IT equipment to suit my environment. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@polobraonain wrote:

How do I change security?

Try WPA, WEP, TKIP etc. temporarily and see if you can connect  - in the wireless settings of the hub

that’s backing off the wireless security to the more basic/oldest  - there may be some incompatibility going on

put back to the better security as and when matters are resolved