cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Network Switch

mulder10941
Tuning in

Hello

Forgive me, I have tried searching for an answer to this but I cannot find one.

I've a Hub 5 and at the moment I have it connected via the 2.5GB port to an ASUS router, which also has a 2.5GB port.

I want to add a network switch (5 x 2.5GB ports) so that I can then use more 2.5GB devices. 

My question is, can I simply run a CAT 6e or 8 cable from the 2.5GB port on the Hub 5 to the switch and then run the same cable type from the switch to the 2.5GB port on the ASUS Router? 

If this is possible, I would assume I could then use other devices plugged into the rest of the 2.5GB ports on the switch?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Your ASUS router would need to have 2.5Gb LAN port for you to connect a switch (or 1Gb port will work just be limited to internet at 940Mb but devices on the switch will but 2.5Gb LAN).

The hub in modem mode only allows one source MAC so having a normal switch to the hub 2.5Gb and a router and other devices each with their own MAC will not work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

31 REPLIES 31

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Your ASUS router would need to have 2.5Gb LAN port for you to connect a switch (or 1Gb port will work just be limited to internet at 940Mb but devices on the switch will but 2.5Gb LAN).

The hub in modem mode only allows one source MAC so having a normal switch to the hub 2.5Gb and a router and other devices each with their own MAC will not work.

Ahh - of course, thank you that does make sense

The model of ASUS is the ZenWiFi AX (XT8), which, if I understand correctly the 2.5GB WAN can also be used as a 2.5GB LAN.

So Hub 5 in Modem mode and connected to the switch via 2.5GB port and then the switch connected to the ASUS via the 2.5GB port (but telling the ASUS to identify that port as a LAN?

Would that work please?

No because the ZenWiFi AX 2.5Gb port is the only WAN you would have to connect the switch to a LAN 1Gb ports.

with another ZenWiFi AX linked by wifi to the main router you can use the 2.5Gb as a LAN 

Does the asus router support Link aggregation?? If so you could connect 2x 1gbps ethernet to it from the VM Hub to the router, then connect the 2.5gbps port to the switch... dunno if Hub5 supports link aggregation either though been trying to get one since i have devices that have 2.5gbe ports lol.

Hello.

Thanks,  as I understand it neither the ASUS or Hub 5 support link aggregation.

Other forums suggest the 2.5gb WAN port on the ASUS can be used as a 2.5gb LAN if the router is in access point mode so I'm going to try that. 

I found the WiFi 6 on the hub 5 to be pretty good and spent nearly 250 on a Draytek router only for the hub5 to be better. I now have 2 switches plus the Draytek acting as a AP. Each connects directly to the Hub 5. I’ve played around a lot with the settings and even put Hub 5 in modem mode but the Draytek was laggy as hell.

on another note on the Hub 5 there is fabric attached to the Hub 5 front panel and sagecom do an identical hub in terms of hardware but the plastic chassis is different. Does the fabric mask LEDs?

I just made a account to reply to this.  Although the super hub 5 does not support link aggregation, it will support load balance_rr.  I just had a engineer out that did not know this nether.  I think because it's undocumented not many people know about it.  If you setup load balance in the Asus settings while connecting two ethernets to the superhub (hub in modem mode) you will be able to get the full 1gbit speed.

Hope this helps

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don’t forget any undocumented ‘facilities’ could be removed by VM at any time. They were on the Hub4.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

AaranAdams
On our wavelength

A yes.  The only problem is the ISP taking away useful features.  Although I don't know why?  It works flawlessly in my setup.  The engineer we had today said that only the first port works in modem mode.  That's not even the 2.5gb port as this is the bottom port on the router.  I really hope VM don't take away the feature and support it this time.