cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Firmware Update?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Hub 5 was flashing green all day today. It was okay after a reboot, but I read this could be related to a failed firmware update.

I am still on the August firmware LG-RDK_3.18.30-2112.12

Has there been a new release recently which may have failed on my Hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There is a new version (LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7) being rolled out from now - one area at a time - so that may be it - just leave it run its course.

Has your changed to the version above ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There is a new version (LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7) being rolled out from now - one area at a time - so that may be it - just leave it run its course.

Has your changed to the version above ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, John.

I did a reset of the Hub today and it's now updated to LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7

AMCross
On our wavelength

any pointers to what each firmware fixes

My TV previously worked fine but began having problems today.   Lots of buffering on live TV.  On-screen message said network signal was poor. 
It's on ethernet cat 6 cable and only 2 feet from the virgin hub5 !
We also get same message on virgin mini-box in next room.

Went into hub settings online and gave it a soft reboot.  (Wanted to be gentle).
Made no difference.  Still poor signal.

Was scratching my head until i saw this thread. It seems that I have just been 'upgraded'(?) to LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7

As to what it fixes ... nothing as far as i know.  But it sure does break things 😞  😞   😞

Lots of ... 

critical

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

Anyone know how to get my lovely old working firmware back ... please ?

@paulh_nwuk wrote:

My TV previously worked fine but began having problems today.   Lots of buffering on live TV.  On-screen message said network signal was poor. 
It's on ethernet cat 6 cable and only 2 feet from the virgin hub5 !
We also get same message on virgin mini-box in next room.

Went into hub settings online and gave it a soft reboot.  (Wanted to be gentle).
Made no difference.  Still poor signal.

Was scratching my head until i saw this thread. It seems that I have just been 'upgraded'(?) to LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7

As to what it fixes ... nothing as far as i know.  But it sure does break things 😞  😞   😞

Lots of ... 

critical

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

Anyone know how to get my lovely old working firmware back ... please ?

There is certainly no way to roll firmware back yourself, only VM can do that and it would only happen if there was a serious bug found in it which effected a large number of customers.

Now there is some anecdotal evidence which suggests that performance of the hubs rolling a firmware update is improved by doing a full factory reset - annoying if you have made many customisations to the hub’s configuration, and shouldn’t really be necessary - but might be worth a punt.

There's an interesting Redit thread if you want to know what this fixed!
https://www.reddit.com/r/VirginMedia/comments/zk15i7/update_hub3_supported_nat_loopback_but_hub5_doe...
Loopback-NAT fixed!!

Many Thanks 🙂

Nice to know that my loopback NAT is fixed (whatever that is, lol).
I'm just running a plain vanilla hub 5 in 'normal' mode with one ethernet cable plugged directly into my adjacent tv 360 box. [ie no web server].

Was working absolutely perfectly ... until they seemingly 'upgraded' my firmware yesterday.

So the upgrade has fixed NAT/loopback for all of those many millions of virgin subscribers who have their own web server? And screwed up the remaining 1 or 2 previously-happy customers in the process.
To quote the guy with the web server, from the link that you supplied ... "What a f***ing joke".

And to quote the next posting in that thread ... "Thanks Virgin Media! Your firmware team are a bunch of clowns! Fixing NAT loopback while bricking WPA3 compatibility". Amongst other things!

And the next poster begs the question ... "Why aren’t you running your own router?"
I'm beginning to think maybe i should be doing that 😞

I will give it another day or two to see if it hopefully sorts itself out [fingers all crossed].

Ironic thing about it is I upgraded to the Hub5 from Hub3, that got abused due to the Intel Puma chip, but I cannot recall have any issues with my Hub3 for the years I had it. Upgraded to the Hub5 being latest and greatest Wi-Fi 6 etc. about 1-2 months ago. Starting this week on the Hub5 my 5Ghz band has dropped out and devices are refusing to connect to it. The router has been fine till Monday, now I'm using 2.4Ghz for all my devices until I decide to try another Reset over the weekend.

UPDATE

I've given my Hub5 another day now [after the update] and, in fairness, it does [touch wood] seem to finally be working ... as it was before the update !