cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Ethernet ports not working

Sukhi123
Joining in

My Ethernet ports have suddenly stopped working on Hub 5. The leads are connected fine. I have even had a new Hub 5 replacement sent but the Ethernet ports are still not working. The Wi-Fi is fine 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this as a last resort.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it. If it doesnt - You will need to call in and report it as a fault

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Two Hub5's both with non working ethernet ports - sounds unlikely - the issue may lay elsewhere

Have you tried new Cat6a ethernet cables.? Do the cable ends light up when plugged in?

Have you got it in modem only mode - what colour is the hub light? In modem mode all the ports are inactivated (except one)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, I haven’t changed any settings. No port lights are lit up also on the hub 5. There are 4 Ethernet ports connected and not one is working. They were all working around a week ago and then stopped suddenly 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this as a last resort.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it. If it doesnt - You will need to call in and report it as a fault

--------------------
John
--------------------

@jbrennand wrote:

Two Hub5's both with non working ethernet ports - sounds unlikely - the issue may lay elsewhere

Unless VM are resending out 2nd hand hubs without testing them?

get new cables

2m - transparent - 1 pieces - CAT.6 Ethernet Lan Network Cable RJ45 | 10/100/1000/Mbit/s | Patchcabe...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Did anybody get to the bottom of this issue?

My hub has also started stopping from allowing the ethernet ports connecting to the internet. I re-started the router yesterday and that solved the issue temporarily, but it has happened again today. There have no system changes at our end. We have had both an Apple TV and a smart heating bridge connected via ethernet for about 12 months but yesterday it blocked them both. The apple box still works via wifi.

Both ethernet connected devices have no access to the internet.

Hi KevJZeeeee. Can you disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin ^Chris

Such an NPC response, similar to the original ‘solution’. The issue still persists even after this! 

Hi @Jamesvoxel 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear you're continuing to experience the issue 😔

Have you tried calling our customer service team and reporting the fault, as advised on another thread? If so, what did they suggest in terms of a resolution?

Regards,
Daniel