cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 DHCP server issues: returning wrong DNS server

DomSheldon
Tuning in

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a very strange problem, which I believe is due to a faulty Hub 5.

In short: every device connected to Hub (both wireless and wired), gets the wrong Gateway/Router IP Address (192.168.0.102 instead of 192.168.0.1) and the wrong DNS Address (192.168.0.102 instead of 192.168.0.1) from the router (HUB 5). Note the IP address assigned to the device is in the right range (192.168.0.x), and the subnet mask is also correct (255.255.255.0). So no issue on that. The only problem is on the Gateway/Router and DNS, which are preventing all my devices to go to the internet, in particular my TiVo Box (read further)

My current workaround: for each device, I have deactivated the DHCP automatic setting, and instead I assign manually IP addresses, in particular the Gateway/Router and DNS to be 192.168.0.1. Doing so, every device is able to get to the internet.

Remaining issue: My TiVo 360 box does not allow me to setup manually the IP addresses, which means that, it does not connect to the internet, which is quite annoying, as I use it as a client to watch streaming content (Netflix, Disney+ etc.). 

The only time the Hub 5 seems to work fine but for a very short period of time, is when I do a hard reset (at the bottom of the router, pushing the reset button for 60 seconds). I used that time to get the right settings for my TiVo box, and I leave the TiVo box turned on (and never switch it off - I also changed the settings on the TiVo to power off automatically every 24 hours, assuming that at least once every 24 hours I am using it!).

Has anyone else had the same problem? It is quite annoying especially if I have guest or if someone turns off the TiVo box (which then forces me to do the hard reset on the router again!).

Thank you!

20 REPLIES 20

Client62
Hero

Hub 5 in Router mode does have known DHCP server issues.
The fastest route to stability may be the Hub 5 in Modem mode plus a 3rd Party router that you own and can control.

DomSheldon
Tuning in

To be fair, I don't like the idea to spend more money because their equipment is somehow faulty...

And I think is related to Hub 5 firmware.

Do we know if they have any plan to update it?

DomSheldon
Tuning in

....and if I go for this option, is there:
1. a preferred type of router (something you can suggest?)

2. the DNS server IP address I should then input in the router (since I would get only the WAN IP Address from the Hub 5 if I put it in modem mode..right?)

thanks

@DomSheldon wrote:

To be fair, I don't like the idea to spend more money because their equipment is somehow faulty...

And I think is related to Hub 5 firmware.

Do we know if they have any plan to update it?

If its a persistent issue your HUB needs replacing.

I imagine millions (100's of thousands?) of customers by now have a HUB 5 and we would hear more about it on these forums if it was a prolific issue.

DomSheldon
Tuning in

It is quite persistent. and when you call their customer service, the only thing they can say is: I can reach the hub, and I explained that is not the WAN, but the LAN is the problem!

One of their engineer came around and he said he needed to fix something in the cabin outside (which did not fix the issue) and then he justified saying that the router needed to be reset. Which he did and the router worked for few hours. Then the problem came back again. I called him over his mobile and he suggested to replace the ethernet cables!!!! (which I did, just for the sake of it but, as you can imagine... it did not resolve the issue...)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Do you have HomePlug - Network Via Mains?

---------------------------------------------------------------

DomSheldon
Tuning in

Yes I do have 5 of them. why?

You been connecting to your neighbour network

---------------------------------------------------------------

@DomSheldon wrote:

2. the DNS server IP address I should then input in the router (since I would get only the WAN IP Address from the Hub 5 if I put it in modem mode..right?)

If you put the hub 5 in modem mode and use your own third party router - your router will solicit DNS server settings etc. alongside a public IP address from the VM network as part of the BOOTP/DHCP process (just as the hub 5 does in router mode). So no, not right.  Alternatively, with many third part routers you can manually set the DNS server to say a public DNS such as Cloudfare (1.1.1.1)  should you wish to (or just copy the VM one in use on your current network).  My D Link DIR-882 allows that as do many routers or good mesh systems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!