cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4

dazlicous
Up to speed

If your using a Hub 3 in modem only mode is it worth upgrading to a Hub 4, is there even any benefit 

4 REPLIES 4

sophist
Trouble shooter

nope, none at all.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are general benefits to your area when it's D3.1 enabled as the more people using a Hub 4 in any given area the more traffic is on D3.1 and the better the capacity is managed.

Better capacity will then help you individually as your broadband performance will usually be better if you're in a high utilisation area for D3.0.

From a home networking perspective though, you'd see no difference between Hub 3 modem mode + router to a Hub 4 modem mode + router.

And if you want Gig1 then a Hub 4 is required.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

@BenMcr wrote:

There are general benefits to your area when it's D3.1 enabled as the more people using a Hub 4 in any given area the more traffic is on D3.1 and the better the capacity is managed.

Better capacity will then help you individually as your broadband performance will usually be better if you're in a high utilisation area for D3.0.

From a home networking perspective though, you'd see no difference between Hub 3 modem mode + router to a Hub 4 modem mode + router.

And if you want Gig1 then a Hub 4 is required.

Thx Ben

Received the email before to upgrade to Hub 4 so might as well upgrade

I have a Asus RT-AX88U router so it will still be in modem only. 

Doubt I will go 1Gig anytime soon thou M500 is more than enough for my needs and probably over kill as well 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As you have been "chosen" - its likely you are in one of the "high utilisation" areas that Ben discussed.

However I am of the mindset that - "if it aint broke, dont try and fix it".

If you have no connection issues stay as is. If issues develop later then the "offer" will still stand to go back to.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.