cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4

Trishakirkwood
On our wavelength

This hub 4 is a load of rubbish in total ive 6 people saying they have sorted in when infact no one has done anything. No wifi or internet since the installed it. What rubbish.HELP

•  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi No i haven't im so fed up now its unbelievable i feel like dropping it in the ocean for the sharks to eat ive just had my 1st bill ill larger than  normal for something i cannot use to its full potential so angry and upset. And as i explained to each of your team it was needed incase i and my 16yr old grand daughter is put in danger again. Thankyou.

Patricia

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The Hub4 WiFi is not great, but are ethernet connections OK? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

who installed it VM or was it a self install - who have you contacted and what do they actually say - if it was a self install have you activated it

what is the actual problem - what colour is the power ring

give more details and you will get help

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi jpeg,

The entire thing is rubbish i cannot connect my security light to the ethernet  or some of the other things i have. Even what is connected is so rubbish and all i get is the runaround with their so called technicians so fed up now only had it a month. And still the same.

Hi Tony,

VM installed it themselves and said oh you got the best hub this is hub 4 much better than the 3. I would never of had if id known it was going to be this much trouble. The power ring is white. I can only get the internet if im sat on top of the router. My printer wont work from  almost all of my devices.and 2 women sat oh maybe its not set up for 5 and 2.4 so the 1st one said she had done that now but been trouble on my line and will be corrected it 24hrs 2nd lady said i dont know what to do you can pay for the engineer to come out. The 3rd said i will put it back as it was. Even though i told each one it was needed for certain things as i have a safety order via the police on me but since this nothing is working? Sorry for rant last night i sat on the phone for almost 3 hours.

ok - sounds like you have the usual rubbish help from offshore so lets start again

if the ring is white it certainly sounds to be working - wifi is never easy and all VM hubs are not good on wifi - think of it as a pound shop router and you get an idea of how good it is but its fine for many so lets look at what you can do

but first if you have a laptop or pc it would be useful to know if the connect is good and constant with that via a wired connection

on the wifi you are better to split the wifi bands - log in and rename one of the so that you can choose which to use rather than letting the hub guess - also turn off wifi optimisation or smart wifi or whatever its called

then download inSSIDer or similar for mobile and look at what other routers are ner you choose channels that are not busy

hopefully some or all of that will help

as to getting a tech out - you do not have to pay - only if its a non fault callout - VM do not guarantee wifi so if the problem is purely wifi some agents may try to charge you but if there are other problems its free

as said the hub is a pound shop spec but its fair to say it works for many - its no better - no worse than the hub3 

the best advice anyone can give is put it in modem mode and buy your own 3rd party router or mesh system - either will cure 99% of your wifi problems - its a fair argument to say you should not have to but that falls one VM's deaf ears

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi Tony

Thank you for your mail and suggestions. I will try them if i can as my hub is only showing 5g  and not 2.4g like they said it should. I had no problems with the hub 3. Only thing it was in my husbands name but because of certain things he has moved away and cancelled everything so had a new account with the hub 4 and many problems with VM and the other half.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As Tony suggests try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands so the have their own SSID's and you can then choose which one to connect each device to over wifi.

Assuming the ethernet connected devices remain stable it suggests that the issues are likely to be wifi related and the nuclear solution is to disable the VM Hub's routing and wifi and get your own (non-Poundshop!) equipment. £40-100 should sort it forever and you will be free of the VM Hub's peculiarities and sleep more easily

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @Trishakirkwood

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see you are facing these issues and you have not felt helped by our teams! 

Huge thank you to our community members @jpeg1, @-tony- and @jbrennand for their advice and guidance. Have you been able to follow the steps from the last post from jbrennand at all? Has this assisted with the light's connection? 

Thank you.

Hi No i haven't im so fed up now its unbelievable i feel like dropping it in the ocean for the sharks to eat ive just had my 1st bill ill larger than  normal for something i cannot use to its full potential so angry and upset. And as i explained to each of your team it was needed incase i and my 16yr old grand daughter is put in danger again. Thankyou.

Patricia