cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 with TP-Link AX11000 and 1 Gig service, but speeds always around 500Mbps?

Dekenba
On our wavelength

I've switched my Hub 4 to modem mode and plugged in a TP-Link AX11000. The range is much, much better, and it handles everything solidly, with speed and ease.

BUT, my speeds never get anywhere near the 1Gig I'm supposed to get, despite the AX11000 being a very fast, tri-band. wi-fi 6 router. Speeds tend to be anything from 400Mbps to around 550Mbps, well short of what I'm paying for, and NEVER get anywhere near 1Gig.

The speeds are from the Speedtest App built into the AX11000 app, so I don't think it's a question of range or cable type?

Am I doing something wrong, or is the problem at Virgin's end?

25 REPLIES 25

Luke9
On our wavelength

Of course they will, both sides will hand you off to each other. If you can prove 500 is only coming out your hub then VM is your issue, if your getting full speed through your hub then the TP link/devices is your issue it's fairly simple.

But youve not proven anything yet with the information you've provided. 

Dekenba
On our wavelength

I get around 500-600 via an ethernet cable from the Hub 3, which suggests the problem is with Virgin. But that, in itself, is a problem, because I'll simply be told by Virgin that the system is set at 1Gig & there are no issues with Virgin at "their" end, insinuating it's a TP-Link issue.

Yet the TP-Link AX11000 is fault free and ridiculously fast & wide-ranged with its wi-fi, so it's not that. And I had a TP-Link AX6600 previously, and that couldn't get over about 600 Mbps either. So either the fault lies with Virgin, or 2 of TP-Links best tri-band, wifi 6 routers are faulty? 

I'm testing onto a fast Dell XPS laptop running Windows 11, or a Samsung S11 phone, and they are working fine.

So I suspect I'm just going to have to live with speeds around half that I pay for.

Luke9
On our wavelength

No don't live with it, get the speeds you pay for. Virgin can't say it's set for 1gig and say there's no issue, the hub is there equipment and it's there responsiblity to ensure you get that speed from a wired connection. 600 from Your modem is 40% down,  clearly it isn't performing as expected, so Call virgin and report the fault, request a tech visit. 

@Dekenba wrote:

I get around 500-600 via an ethernet cable from the Hub 3, which suggests the problem is with Virgin. But that, in itself, is a problem, because I'll simply be told by Virgin that the system is set at 1Gig & there are no issues with Virgin at "their" end, insinuating it's a TP-Link issue.

Yet the TP-Link AX11000 is fault free and ridiculously fast & wide-ranged with its wi-fi, so it's not that. And I had a TP-Link AX6600 previously, and that couldn't get over about 600 Mbps either. So either the fault lies with Virgin, or 2 of TP-Links best tri-band, wifi 6 routers are faulty? 

I'm testing onto a fast Dell XPS laptop running Windows 11, or a Samsung S11 phone, and they are working fine.

So I suspect I'm just going to have to live with speeds around half that I pay for.

Can you confirm you actually have a HUB 4?

Post your HUB stats so we can check if they are in spec.

carl_pearce_0-1655637890097.png

In modem mode you access the HUB on 192.168.100.1

It's 100% a Hub 4, it replaced the Hub 3 when I upgraded to 1 Gig broadband. I'm actually away for a week now, so I'll log in and report back next week.

From a practical perspective, 600Mbps meets all of my needs & some! I have about 45 connected devices, and they all join the network and hum along perfectly happily and quickly. Everything streams quickly, downloads are speedy and nothing slows down.

It's why I don't put too much effort into getting the 1Gig speeds I should be getting, because the difference is, in practical terms, negligible. Theis biggest difference came with adding the AX11000, its range is far greater than Hub 4 and it is rock solid, with lots of settings to fiddle with. I'll never understand why Virgin - and all ISP's, for that matter - use cheap routers, as they are shooting themselves in the foot. Well, I DO understand - it's all about bigger profits - but Virgin supplying a top quality router would surely pay for itself over time?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Dekenba wrote:

I'll never understand why Virgin - and all ISP's, for that matter - use cheap routers, as they are shooting themselves in the foot. Well, I DO understand - it's all about bigger profits - but Virgin supplying a top quality router would surely pay for itself over time?

Nope because people will still use modem mode and VM will not give out modems because it will cost even more.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @Dekenba thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

I've ran checks on my side, and I can't identify any faults that would signify you're not receiving the 1GB speeds direct to your Hub.

Have you took your Hub out of Modem Mode and ran a speed test direct to it, when connected to a device via a Cat 6E or above ethernet cable?

Please let us know how you get on once you've tried this.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi, Not sure if you guys are still looking. But I have the exact same problem. I was on a hub3 with high 1gig speeds. When my contract renewed I got a hub 4 speeds then dropped to around 500mb through the AX11000, plug direct into the hub4 and its back up at 1gib??

All new CAT 6e cables, even just had a firmware update from TP-Link and no change. 

For me with the only change been the hub it has to be Virgin. Even had an engineer out and he couldn't solve the problem. 

I gave up trying to solve the problem in the end. Virgin adamant 1 Gig was the speeds I was getting, TP-Link adamant the problem lay with Virgin.

But the wi-fi improved immeasurably with the AX11000, so I decided that half a Gig through the AX11000 was far better than a Gig through the Virgin hub, the range in particular being vastly superior on the AX11000.

In reality, half a Gig speeds are more than sufficient to meet my needs. Expending more energy & time trying to get the AX11000 up to 1Gig speeds just wasn't worth it.

Wouldnt be suprised if you are on some boosted/ Volted M500. During my upgrade I was told I will keep my 1G ( I only used to have 1Gig broadband only described on contract ad 1Gig broadband only) and get some channels for lower price. Signed up for it and then noticed that the actual Broadband package is not like it used to be described... It was now described volted M500 or something like this... Since that upgrade all I get is a lot of problems... When I had my Hub4 replaced to Hub 5 yesterday; I reached 800M in the morning on Wifi to my laptop but during the peak hours I rarely reach 500M. Clearly reducing speeds... Wish I could pay half for the package for half a month Lol