cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 with TP-Link AX11000 and 1 Gig service, but speeds always around 500Mbps?

Dekenba
On our wavelength

I've switched my Hub 4 to modem mode and plugged in a TP-Link AX11000. The range is much, much better, and it handles everything solidly, with speed and ease.

BUT, my speeds never get anywhere near the 1Gig I'm supposed to get, despite the AX11000 being a very fast, tri-band. wi-fi 6 router. Speeds tend to be anything from 400Mbps to around 550Mbps, well short of what I'm paying for, and NEVER get anywhere near 1Gig.

The speeds are from the Speedtest App built into the AX11000 app, so I don't think it's a question of range or cable type?

Am I doing something wrong, or is the problem at Virgin's end?

25 REPLIES 25

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Built in speed test on the AX11000 is not accurate (known issue, reported in TP-Link forum).  Based on experience of TP-Link products they will fix it and release new firmware, but that could be many months away.

Use Ookla, I'd suggest, and test from connected devices.

Dekenba
On our wavelength

The speedtest built into the AX10000 IS Ookla's speedtest.

Testing using Ookla via laptops & mobile phones results in an even worse result, typically around 300-350Mbps.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Stobbsy74
Superfast

deleted post

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Are there any QoS setting on the AX11000?  If there are, try adding a test device to the QoS list, test with that device.

I use a low end TP-Link mesh system, and the system manages bandwidth as it sees fit (usually the best option), but to see fastest speeds I find that the test devices need to have QoS priority.  

Also, with a single wired device to the Hub 4, what speed does that show, taking the AX11000 out of the equation?  That will need a restart of the hub as it doesn't seem to cope with plug & play in modem mode.

Dekenba
On our wavelength

I'm now £4.99 poorer, with absolutely no difference to internet speed.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Send the bill to @legacy1   

You might be better off asking in the TP-Link customer forum if the problem persists.

Luke9
On our wavelength

If your seeing the speed coming out of the hub then your issue is with the tp link router or your devices. What devices are you using? It could be that there not WiFi 6 compatible and are still using WiFi 5

You've not specified if you've tried a wired connection to check for speed, this device would need a Gbit port as a minimum aswell 

Dekenba
On our wavelength

Guess what forum the TP-Link people told me to get help....?