cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 vs Hub 3

BeeLondon
Tuning in

VM sent me a Hub 4, told me I HAD to install it within 5 days or it wouldn't work and also that Hub 3 would become obsolete soon and Hub4 would be much better.

My connection (WiFi and ethernet) was already awful on Hub 3, it's been awful since I joined VM in August. Apparently due to external cables (but those still aren't fixed). Splitting the WiFi on Hub3 helped and for some strange reason WiFi worked better than a cabled connection.

One day of using Hub 4 and everything is worse. Ethernet won't work at all, WiFi is patchy, my chromecast (in the next room) now won't detect the WiFi signal, the Hub is sat in the same position, plenty of air around it, the WiFi is no longer split between 2G and 5G, the ethernet cable is worse than the wifi.

They can't run a diagnostic test on Hub 4 yet!!

What do I do?

Can I plug Hub3 back in again? 

I have read a few other posts, I am not techy, I have no idea what modem mode is, I don't want to buy extra equipment.

Any help would be great 😞

16 REPLIES 16

@BeeLondon wrote:

Thanks gary_dexter, afraid I'd have to search and read up on what a mesh.system is and how to install a router, which router to buy... etc.

Either way, many more hours work ahead. I'll try the split first, once I've found instructions, then research the other things you mention.

Login to the hubs admin (192.168.0.1), go to Advanced Settings, Wireless, Wireless Signal. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Is it a switch from auto to manual?

Edit: I found a YouTube video. First quick fix done, now to search for a router. Thanks for your help.

(still angry with Virgin)

It's made absolutely no difference 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually managed to get through to the call centre yesterday, although I was told they were at home.... it is strange because I conversed with 3 different people over 2 hours (one took a break half way through!!!) it was the 0345 454 1111 number (just remember if you are going to call, don't do it anywhere around lunch time! If they offer to get you an engineer, be aware I am having to wait another 11 days on top of the 9 already!

I already know the outcome! 😉.

Colin11
Joining in

Hub 4 arrived yesterday. Internet connection has been up and down, and on and off, ever since. Not impressed so far. Hopefully someone from Virgin reads these posts too as there doesn’t seem to be any other way to get any help!

Please start your own thread so your issues can be looked into

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try the number above 07533051809 they called me yesterday to offer me a cancellation (tomorrow morning!) - I am not counting my chickens. Remember the call centre know next to nothing other than 'Have you plugged it in?', 'Have you turned it on', 'have you fed the cat!' - at least one had the courtesy to admit she was out of her depth. KUDOS to her.

And please Colin don't say that, they may turn up with a HUB4  replacement for me as well! 😪