cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 vs Hub 3

BeeLondon
Tuning in

VM sent me a Hub 4, told me I HAD to install it within 5 days or it wouldn't work and also that Hub 3 would become obsolete soon and Hub4 would be much better.

My connection (WiFi and ethernet) was already awful on Hub 3, it's been awful since I joined VM in August. Apparently due to external cables (but those still aren't fixed). Splitting the WiFi on Hub3 helped and for some strange reason WiFi worked better than a cabled connection.

One day of using Hub 4 and everything is worse. Ethernet won't work at all, WiFi is patchy, my chromecast (in the next room) now won't detect the WiFi signal, the Hub is sat in the same position, plenty of air around it, the WiFi is no longer split between 2G and 5G, the ethernet cable is worse than the wifi.

They can't run a diagnostic test on Hub 4 yet!!

What do I do?

Can I plug Hub3 back in again? 

I have read a few other posts, I am not techy, I have no idea what modem mode is, I don't want to buy extra equipment.

Any help would be great 😞

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Indeed the Hub4 is worse than the Hub3.

And modem mode with your own router is the way to go. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

When you activated the hub 4 your hub 3 would have been de-activated and removed from your account, I am afraid that  you cannot get it re-activated.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The official stance is no I am afraid, they would have to send you a new hub 3 and the best people too call would be the leaving team, as normally there is no downgrade of hardware possible, they would have to make an exception.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@BeeLondon wrote:

Not the answer I was hoping for 😞 but thank you for answering.

They should really give you all the info before switching hubs.

Maybe splitting my WiFi will help, it seemed to with Hub3 and was then more reliable than the cabled connection.

I know it's a different topic, bit is that something I can do myself?

More hours of work wasted to fix this, I'm so tired.

Yes you can split the bands and change the channels to ones that are less congested.

If you don’t want to “waste hours” on a 2 minute fix to try then getting your own router or mesh system will save you all the hassle. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

16 REPLIES 16

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Indeed the Hub4 is worse than the Hub3.

And modem mode with your own router is the way to go. 

I'm not sure what modem mode means.

I haven't returned the Hub3 yet, can I switch back or will it not work now?

I've plugged the Hub3 back in.

Can anyone advise how I get it to connect? 

Turned it off and on again.

Done a reset.

I can't run tests on myvirginmedia, because they think I have the Hub4 plugged in and can't assess that.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

When you activated the hub 4 your hub 3 would have been de-activated and removed from your account, I am afraid that  you cannot get it re-activated.

Regards Mike

If I can get.through to VM can they reactivate it?

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The official stance is no I am afraid, they would have to send you a new hub 3 and the best people too call would be the leaving team, as normally there is no downgrade of hardware possible, they would have to make an exception.

Regards Mike

Maybe splitting my WiFi will help, it seemed to with Hub3 and was then more reliable than the cabled connection.

@BeeLondon wrote:

Yes you can split the bands and change the channels to ones that are less congested.

If you don’t want to “waste hours” on a 2 minute fix to try then getting your own router or mesh system will save you all the hassle. 

Thanks gary_dexter, afraid I'd have to search and read up on what a mesh.system is and how to install a router, which router to buy... etc.

Either way, many more hours work ahead. I'll try the split first, once I've found instructions, then research the other things you mention.