cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 upgrade - new customer

Carlo1460
Tuning in

Hi, 

Recently ordered my 200meg (soon to be boosted to 350meg via volt) and noticed I’m only getting hub 3 which I’m overly concerned about. 
Is it possible to request to change this to hub 4? Or is it best I just drop it to modem only and add my own router to it at extra cost?

the reviews of the hub 3 don’t fill me with confidence as I’ll be starting a new job perm wfh and cannot be dealing with wifi drop outs all day long 😑 

I don’t mind paying a small fee to have better technology if possible. 

Thanks in advance, 

18 REPLIES 18

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub4 is no better technology than the Hub3, only really required if you have a 1g connection. Some people on the board think the WiFi on the hub3 is better.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

cje85
Trouble shooter

You can put the Hub 3 in to modem mode and use your own router. 

The Hub 4 isn't much of an improvement, using your own router is always the best thing to do. 

Thanks, probably going for this as the reviews look pretty good especially when it comes to Hub 3 and VM. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/...

Just seems unfair to use my own money for something VM should just improve. 

Im yet to have the go live date but obviously I want the best connection from the start. 🤞🏼 

I will report back. 

@Carlo1460 wrote:

Thanks, probably going for this as the reviews look pretty good especially when it comes to Hub 3 and VM. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/...

Just seems unfair to use my own money for something VM should just improve. 

Im yet to have the go live date but obviously I want the best connection from the start. 🤞🏼 

I will report back. 

Virgin provide you with a cable connection to your property with a basic hub.

If you want better than what’s supplied then you source and use your own equipment as many people on these boards do.

I would look at future proofing and getting an AX router rather than AC. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

The price of that though 😩😅 

VM should just rollout with decent tech in the first instance or drop the pricing to factor in people having to buy additional kit to have a functional service. 

@Carlo1460 wrote:

The price of that though 😩😅 

VM should just rollout with decent tech in the first instance or drop the pricing to factor in people having to buy additional kit to have a functional service. 

Then your monthly bill will increase and people that don’t want/need AX devices will be penalised paying higher prices that don’t fit their requirements.

AX routers will set your back around £250 which isn’t a lot in the shame of things. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

I guess if it lasts and works great then it pays off. The other half is a heavy gamer so would need to be compatible with that alongside telephony based work all day long. 

I’ll check out some other brands as ASUS are expensive. 

any personal opinions on TP Link ax models? They come quite reasonable with good solid reviews too. 

@Carlo1460 wrote:

I guess if it lasts and works great then it pays off. The other half is a heavy gamer so would need to be compatible with that alongside telephony based work all day long. 

I’ll check out some other brands as ASUS are expensive. 

any personal opinions on TP Link ax models? They come quite reasonable with good solid reviews too. 

Gaming should be done over a wired connection really so Wifi protocols have little relevance- especially for serious/competitive gamers. 

TP-Link are cheap and cheerful devices that are well reviewed - ASUS devices offer more customisation over TP-Link models with Merlin firmware and it’s add-ons.

Then there’s Ubiquiti Unifi devices for serous network techies.

I say heavy gamer, he’s not a COD fanatic but always online with mates playing who knows what. 

been really insightful thank you.