cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 upgrade link

Andrew3651
Dialled in

Had an email telling me I could claim an upgrade to Hub 4. Unfortunately (and not for the first time) the link sent by Virgin doesn't work.

Happening to anyone else?

146 REPLIES 146

Hello @gareth_L please can you help me out with this hub 4 situation. I’ve had no luck getting help from any of the team over the phone. They all keep giving me silly excuses. Got an email for a free upgrade and even forwarded it to a customer service manager and still haven’t heard anything. Been on the phone overall 4 hours total about 5 phone calls and know one can process it for me and the email link doesn’t work. 

Many Thanks 

@kashiup wrote:

Hello @gareth_L please can you help me out with this hub 4 situation. I’ve had no luck getting help from any of the team over the phone. They all keep giving me silly excuses. Got an email for a free upgrade and even forwarded it to a customer service manager and still haven’t heard anything. Been on the phone overall 4 hours total about 5 phone calls and know one can process it for me and the email link doesn’t work. 

Many Thanks 

You can’t message or request help from an individual forum rep “on the fly”.

Why do you want a Hub4?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Was offered one via email last week but link doesn’t work and no one on the customer service knows anything about it and read on this forum that help has been given. Therefore asking for help on here. 

@kashiup wrote:

Was offered one via email last week but link doesn’t work and no one on the customer service knows anything about it and read on this forum that help has been given. Therefore asking for help on here. 

I get that.. but why do you want one?

Is there an issue with your current one?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Current one is terrible. The WiFi is very poor on all devices and even engineers have been and they will not change the hub. Therefore this was the opportunity to get a new one and an updated one 

@kashiup wrote:

Current one is terrible. The WiFi is very poor on all devices and even engineers have been and they will not change the hub. Therefore this was the opportunity to get a new one and an updated one 

Then you don’t want a Hub4. It has considerably worse Wi-Fi coverage amongst many other issues. 

Rog22
On our wavelength

And the scales fell from my eyes...

I've posted earlier in this thread that I was pleased with the fact that the Hub 4 was showing speeds of 100mbps on the mobile. 

After experiencing real world use over a few weeks, I am now disappointed.  Watching HD streaming video is fine, even on multiple devices. Zoom calls on the laptop are fine as well. The problem comes when making video calls, mobile-to-mobile, i.e. WhatsApp, Messenger & Duo. All of these services drop connection or show the dreaded "reconnecting". These calls are now pretty unusable. I switched off 5GHz and there was a slight improvement using 2.4GHz only but drop outs were still occurring. 

This never used to happen, so I switched off all wireless radios on the Hub 4 and connected the old Hub 2, configured as a wireless access point, to a LAN port in the Hub 4. Video calls are back to normal - no drop outs.

Since then I have replaced the Hub 2 AP with an old Linksys WRT150N AP running DD-WRT. This seems to have slightly better range and the power consumption is half that of the Hub 2, presumably because there is no redundant cable modem on board. Again video calls are fine.

Incidentally, whilst measuring power consumption, I found that the Hub 4 is only 5W with wireless switched off.

I will replace the Linksys with a more modern dual band router soon.

So, to all of you out there hankering after a Hub 4, I would say that it is worth it if you expect to move to a very high speed package from VM, as it is designed to work with future speed upgrades. As far as the routing and wireless side of things go, you will need a separate router, as others have already posted...

Hi an update. A big shout out to Beth from the forum team getting this sorted for me. The help is much appreciated and the forum team helped me a lot quicker than on the phone when being passed around. Again thank you Beth! 😁

Keep us posted how you get on. Lot of folk saying it's no good but tbh I'm v happy with mine. Touch wood.

Rog22
On our wavelength

Andrew, I was happy with mine until I found problems with mobile to mobile video calls as mentioned above. Do you make any such calls and, if so, have you experienced any problems yourself?