cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 smart device problems

kentomas
Tuning in

Since taking delivery of my Hub 4 I can’t connect my smart bulbs or socket adaptors. I use the Smart Life app and have also tried the Tuya - which seems to be identical. I’ve tried splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and changing the channel, but no luck. I’ve now disabled the 5Ghz and still no luck. Any ideas?

41 REPLIES 41

Hi. 

Not really sure if virgin send me a new hub I should have to upgrade all my smart devices. They're 12 months old? 

Not everything can be compatible with everything. Especially cheap ISP provides hubs 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I fully agree, just not sure how that works. Virgin upgrade me and then I've got to upgrade all my smart home devices?

@Pineapplechunx wrote:

I fully agree, just not sure how that works. Virgin upgrade me and then I've got to upgrade all my smart home devices?

Yes. That’s correct. 
You just need to get a better router that has better device compatibility. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Just to say I have the same problems. All worked well with HUB 3 butTECKIN plugs and another make ITCP will not get recognised. There is clearly a problem with the hub . I have tried everything possible but to no avail. I don't think it will accept any such device via Wi Fi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hc20 wrote:

Just to say I have the same problems. All worked well with HUB 3 butTECKIN plugs and another make ITCP will not get recognised. There is clearly a problem with the hub . I have tried everything possible but to no avail. I don't think it will accept any such device via Wi Fi.

It's because those devices are 2.4Ghz only. The HUB 3 is designed to be 'smart' and run 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands on the same SSID, however some devices don't like this!

You must split your SSID into two, like below, to allow these devices to connect:

Spliiting the wi-fi signal has no effect.

This is 100% an issue with the HUB 4. I have this problem with a bunch of device, such as smart Home LED strips to my Elgato Key Light.

The devices will connect for approx 10 seconds before being disconnected. For example, turning off and on again, the elgato key light, the device will connect for a few seconds and then be kicked off of the Wi-Fi.

Same with the Magic Home LED strips, however, with the LED strips, they won't stay connected long enough to complete the setup process.

Also, performing aa network scan, the LED strips are found, but they don't have an IP address assigned, even when manually assigning an IP to the mac address in DHCP.

AnthonyKinson_0-1604863955974.png

This is happening with a bunch of devices, from cheap to expensive. I've tried a bunch of things, including factory resets, Wi-Fi channels, frequencies, disabling 5GHz completely. nothing works.

There is definitely an issue with the HUB 4, as these all worked fine with the HUB 3, and even on other routers when putting the HUB 4 into modem only mode.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, my comment applies in general though about the overall issue with the hub 4. 👍 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnthonyKinson wrote:

ok, my comment applies in general though about the overall issue with the hub 4. 👍 

I edited my post as I misread theirs!