Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4, should i upgrade?

Hi, I have been offered to upgrade to Hub 4 for free. should i bother to upgrade? I don't have any problems with my Hub 3. In fact i have never had any problem with any Virgin Hub in 20 years! I do like to try out new kit, but have read the usual horror stories about the Hub 4. I remember reading the same about the Hub 3, but really it has been great for me. I use it in wifi mode etc. Does anyone have anything good to say about Hub 4?? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4, should i upgrade?

Short answer - no

Long answer - no. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah, OK good to know. I did actually order the hub 4, so maybe i will cancel now. when is the hub 3 decommissioned? when you order the hub 4 or after you activate hub 4? eg, could i just hang on to the hub 4 until service settles down?? Thanks!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Order it where? From Virgin direct?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes, virgin contacted me and offered the free hub 4. i (stupidly) said yes. but you guys are convincing me to cancel, yes??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As others have said "No".

The reason I'm on here tonight is because I "upgraded" to a Hub 4 my connection has been unreliable - and as they can't do automated tests on the Hub 4 they just point you at the forums.

Whilst the headline speed is a little higher my connection drops out frequently on the 4, and whilst it says the channels are connected it loses the external I.P. and seems to cycle trying to get one - and failing.

I'd refuse a 4 until something improves.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is coming to a forum, where people come to complain, the best place to ask your question?

Personally, as someone who had a very early Hub 3.0 which has never given me any problems, I’ve installed a Hub4 recently and it is proving equally reliable as the Hub 3.0 was.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thank you. yes i thought a forum of virgin media users was EXACTLY the place to ask the question! where else! thanks for your answers!!

i have never had any problems with ANY VM hubs, but of course many others have. i thought maybe people who have no probs might say so?? 

was looking for a range of opinion...

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I only know of one regular poster on here that has got a Hub 4 and he has had no end of problems, the rest of us are happy with Hub 2 & 3 and third party Wi-Fi kit and staying well clear until the beta testing has run its course.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I tried to cancel hub 4 by calling VM. they say it is cancelled, but online says its on the way. if it does arrive, as long as I DONT install it, they won't cancel my Hub 3 will they??

0 Kudos