cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 running very hot and making whirring noise.

AB1918
On our wavelength

Our Hub 4 is running hot and often making a whirring noise. It is in a very shady but very well ventilated location. We first noticed this problem before the weather started getting hot again. Of course Virgin is hiding away and it has been impossible to talk to a human.  We have made an appointment for a technician to call but it that visit is a couple of days away.

All suggested checks through Virgin apps etc have been done. Any other constructive suggestions as to resolving the problem etc are welcome.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Make sure you unplug it from the power supply when you are out or asleep.

The Tech will swap it out. A VM person will respond on here soon.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AB1918,

Thanks for your post, and welcome back to our Community.

I'm really sorry to hear your Hub is having issues with regulating temperature and noise. I've taken a look at things on our end and can see your Hub has been online for a few days. Everything is also showing within standard running specifications. 

I've attempted to pull this appointment forward, but due to the extremely high demand in Technician visits, I have been unable to do so.

Can you please switch off your Hub and unplug it from any power supply and then take a look at the base to see if there has been any build-up of dust? Once you've taken a look at this, please plug your supply back in and turn the Hub back on and see if the issue is persisting.

If the Hub is still getting hot and making noise, then as @jbrennand has mentioned, as a safety precaution, please unplug the power supply directly at the socket when you are out of the home or sleeping - or, if possible, for the entire duration of the time between now and your Technician visit.

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

AB1918
On our wavelength

Thanks for the message,

All suggestions followed.

If we need to switch off the hub completely, how can we maintain our wifi for the 70+ hours until a Virgin technician arrives.

Thank you @AB1918 

Are you able to let us know how things are looking after this appointment? 

Thank you again