cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 or not?

sl4
Joining in

I have a hub 3 which works fine, except that it does not consistently allow watching one Tivo’s content on the second Tivo which is remote from it and from the hub - not a critical issue.

As a result of an end of contract negotiation I have now signed up to Virgin’s Ultimate Volt package with the 1 gig speed. I have been sent the hub 4 to access that speed. But I have no real use for the 1 gig.

Apart from the 1 gig, does the 4 offer any real advantage over the 3? And how great are the continuing or transitional problems likely to be - for a non-techy person like me?

And am I free to return the 4 instead of the 3 if that is what I prefer to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@sl4 Apart from the 1 gig, does the 4 offer any real advantage over the 3? And how great are the continuing or transitional problems likely to be - for a non-techy person like me?

If you don't need the 1 Gbps speed, the only advantage of the Hub 4 is that it uses technology that helps mitigate network congestion problems, against which that technology is more demanding of line quality.  So if you've got a good quality line in an area where VM have sold too many contracts, then it will help.  If you've got an iffy line, but there's no congestion issues then it won't help, and could be worse until any power or noise issues get sorted.  

In terms of continuing problems, there shouldn't be anything.  Transitional problems should be minimal but if the line quality is poor then you'd find yourself back here reporting a poor connection and asking for a technician visit to sort things out.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@sl4 wrote:

I have a hub 3 which works fine, except that it does not consistently allow watching one Tivo’s content on the second Tivo which is remote from it and from the hub - not a critical issue.

As a result of an end of contract negotiation I have now signed up to Virgin’s Ultimate Volt package with the 1 gig speed. I have been sent the hub 4 to access that speed. But I have no real use for the 1 gig.

Apart from the 1 gig, does the 4 offer any real advantage over the 3? And how great are the continuing or transitional problems likely to be - for a non-techy person like me?

And am I free to return the 4 instead of the 3 if that is what I prefer to do?

You need the Hub4 to support the Gig1 broadband - whether you use it or not is irrelevant - there will come a time when your Hub3 will deactivate and you’ll have to connect the Hub4 in its place. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@sl4 Apart from the 1 gig, does the 4 offer any real advantage over the 3? And how great are the continuing or transitional problems likely to be - for a non-techy person like me?

If you don't need the 1 Gbps speed, the only advantage of the Hub 4 is that it uses technology that helps mitigate network congestion problems, against which that technology is more demanding of line quality.  So if you've got a good quality line in an area where VM have sold too many contracts, then it will help.  If you've got an iffy line, but there's no congestion issues then it won't help, and could be worse until any power or noise issues get sorted.  

In terms of continuing problems, there shouldn't be anything.  Transitional problems should be minimal but if the line quality is poor then you'd find yourself back here reporting a poor connection and asking for a technician visit to sort things out.  

You need the Hub4 to support the Gig1 broadband - whether you use it or not is irrelevant - there will come a time when your Hub3 will deactivate and you’ll have to connect the Hub4 in its place. ”

Thank you.

Hub 3 will be deactivated if I do nothing, or tell them that I eant toreturn Hub 4? When?

Hi sl4 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

gary_dexter and Andrew-G have both given correct advice, for which I thank them.  Is there anything further we can help with?

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks to all.

Tech said I could not decline to use Hub 4 on my contract.

So installed this morning. Installation initially failed so I called Tech again. Install failed as Virgin had not been activated the box.

Then all seems good. Full speed via ethernet, 850 via wifi to iMac directly below on next floor, around 600 on iPad Pro  in same room as router. Fingers crossed.

Hi @sl4, thank you for updating the thread. 

Sorry to hear of you difficulties with your install activation - but glad to hear it seems to be set up now. 

Please get back to us if you have any further issues with your service we can help with!

All the best. 

Molly