cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 modem mode - what next?

frazer666
Tuning in

Hello,

Confused what to do after activating modem mode.

I have my trusty Asus AC68U currently working in access point mode.

I want to use the Asus router overall as well as for opening ports (something the hub 4 wont let me do despite looking like it does and following all the guides and steps)

After enabling modem mode on hub4 my asus stops working, do I :

1. need to change the Asus to router mode?

if so what connection type should I specify? (DHCP / PPPoE / PPTP / L2TP / static IP ?

or

2. some other mode?  AP mode does not let me configure port forwarding for example...

this post says to use DHCP mode?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-modem-mode/m-p/4921703/highlight/true...

thanks in advance

22 REPLIES 22

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Possibility that the hub has not got the latest firmware if the LED is white or it’s not gone into modem mode correctly. Attaching a PC directly to hub should prove modem mode it if you can see the hub on 192.168.100.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yes Tudor,

I can confirm I have checked its showing in Modem mode via a laptop and Ethernet cable on 192.168.100.1 its shows its in modem mode but the light is still solid white. Does the SH4 need to be updated and if yes can this be done in the router page?

How do I check the Asus settings as I cannot get into the settings as I cannot get on the internet with this router or am I missing something?

Thanks

Jim

I have also just checked and I can also get into the router page (whilst in router mode) on wifi by using 192.168.100.1? Should I be able to do this I thought this was only used via cable when the router is in Modem Mode?

Thanks

Jim

You should be able to get into Asus settings by attaching a cable to it from a laptop. Then put in to a browser its IP address (default is 192.168.1.1) and the password.  When you’re hapyy with the setup (Dynamic IP), switch the hub off, plug the router in and switch the hub on. 

my hib 4 in modem mode has s white light (and an Asus router).

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Thanks Sephiroth,

This is the thing I cannot get into the Asus with the PC connected by cable via 192.168.1.1 it just says site cannot be reached. I have tried this before and just now and I am getting the same message?

Not sure what I am doing wrong. all this used to work fine and the setup was just about instant when I first plugged the Asus in about a year ago and has been rock steady since. Just all gone wrong when I moved everything to another area of the room after decorating?

Thanks

Jim

You should also be able to get onto the router over WiFi and unter the URL for the settings page (see router manual). 

Just a thought - you should be trying to get into the router standslone from the Hub. 

that said, when working properly as it did before, you would still be able to get into the router’s settngs login page. 

So before I turn the SH4 into modem mode and then trying to cable up to the Asus. I should be able to access the Asus with ethernet cable (using 192.168.1.1). I have tried this but cannot get on get in as it states internet connection unobtainable/not available?

So have you got the internet to work in modem mode with just a PC to the hub?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your continued help with this,

In modem mode and the Asus connected with cable from the 1 port on the SH4 to the WAN port on the Asus I cannot get on the net with a cable from the laptop or pick up wifi on the Asus.

I can get on the internet connecting the laptop to SH4 with ethernet cable

I just cannot get the Asus to connect to the SH4 whilst in modem mode after many many attempts/resets. It use to work fine before it was moved (same room different location) but not now frustratingly.

Thanks

Jim