cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 modem mode issues

Bigbadlee01
Joining in

Hi all,

I’ve got a Hub 4 that is in modem mode connected to a TPlink Archer AX50 router. All is good speed wise and wi-fi coverage but I have one issue. The hub 4 is still on 192.168.0.1 and also on 192.168.100.1. Has anyone else had this happen to them? How do I change it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the Super Hub is in modem mode, it will only give out one IP address to the connected device, so your router will get this IP address for its WAN address and then your router will be your DHCP server and issue IP addresses from its own pool. This can be the 192.168.1.* range and will not cause issues with you logging into the Super Hub while it's in modem mode behind your router. For example, my ASUS router uses the 192.168.1.* range and I can sign into our Super Hub 4 via 192.168.100.1 when necessary.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
It should not cause a issue?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Only issue so far is the inability to login to my TPlink router over WiFi . I assumed the router would be on 192.168.0.1 and the hub 4 would be on the .100.1. ?

Are you sure your router is not 192.168.1.1?

Even with your router LAN at 192.168.0.1 you would get to your router not the hub as the router has no reason to send out the WAN

---------------------------------------------------------------

Turns out is is but unfortunately I get this message now..

Local Management via HTTPS is disabled. Please access the device via HTTP

So not sure how to fix this now..

Hi @Bigbadlee01

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Are you still experiencing this issue now, how are you getting on after your last reply?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Travis_M

I still have the Hub 4 on 0.1 and 100.1 so yeah. 
It’s not causing any real issues but does it mean that the DCHP server is active on the Hub 4?

If the Super Hub is in modem mode, it will only give out one IP address to the connected device, so your router will get this IP address for its WAN address and then your router will be your DHCP server and issue IP addresses from its own pool. This can be the 192.168.1.* range and will not cause issues with you logging into the Super Hub while it's in modem mode behind your router. For example, my ASUS router uses the 192.168.1.* range and I can sign into our Super Hub 4 via 192.168.100.1 when necessary.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

That's a "workaround".

I came here as I've just had the exact same problem after upgrading from a Hub 3 to a Hub 4.

Hub 3 when you put it in modem mode, switches to 192.168.100.1 and releases 192.168.0.1

Hub 4 doesn't release the original router admin address - Despite the UI telling you to connect to 192.168.100.1 when it reboots into modem mode, it's still happily using 192.168.0.1 as well.

Which then clashed with the gateway address of my real router I had plugged into it. Orbi Router (Netgear) did at least sensibly switch to 192.168.1.1 - but it stuffed up all the stuff I had in the house configured with static IPs (or anything that references them - browser bookmarks, saved passwords, docker config etc). 

Either a screw up with the hub4 firmware, or saves tech support from having to guess what IP the modem can be connected to on.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can certainly have your own router on 192.168.0.1 when the VM Hub4 is in modem mode, mine is, and it works. 

1) When your router is in 192.168.0.1 and a station goes to this address the router handles the request and replies to the station.

2) When you router is on any subnet other than 192.168.0.1 and a stations goes to this address the router does its routing correctly and sends it out on its WAN address and it gets handled by the hub4 and it handles it and sends the response back to your router that in turn sends it to the station.

When 2) above happens on a Hub3 the hub just ignores the request.

Neither is an error, it’s just that the VM documentation is incorrect.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2