cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 issues with BT Whole Home Premium

Bingham-nutter
On our wavelength

After 2 years of working absolutely fine my BT Whole Home Premium (3 Disks) connected to my VM Hub 4 only provide 5-10 mins of connectivity before dropping. I’ve factory reset the BT Disks multiple times, switched the master disc around and switched the Hub 4 on and off multiple times. 

When everything reconnects it works fine for a while then it loses connectivity and I have to try all over again.

Any advice how to trouble shoot the issue

Thanks 👍🏼

60 REPLIES 60

No technician I'm afraid, but VM have agreed to post a self-install Hub5 router to me, which should arrive this week.

I'll post again once installed with a progress update.

Thanks to all who helped.

Spent over an hour on the phone to VM, spoke to 5 different people. 

I was informed, due to the issue being with the BT disc and not VM. They can’t send out a HUB5 to replace the HUB4. Instead I have to wait for an email from VM offering a HUB5 Upgrade but no guarantee on when I can expect that. Also, as I’m already on the 1Gig package, they can’t offer an “upgrade” to HUB5.

Very frustrating - the only solution they gave was sending me one of their Wi-Fi Boosters and suggested to call 72 hours after the first disc arrives to arrange a further two more boosters. 

Any other tips on getting the replacement would be appreciated.

EmilTad
Tuning in

Same problem hours on the phone to Virgin then BT including emails Virgin refusing to give me a hub 5!

I have one solution up my sleeve which resolved things in the past especially with Virgin is to go to the disconnections team or as they like to call it "retentions team" there will be two things on the discussion if they want to keep me as a customer they're going to have to hold off with their price increase and give me the hub 5!

(Thank you for getting in touch regarding the issue you have found with your BT Whole Home discs.

We are aware of a recent issue affecting the BT Whole Home discs when in use with the Virgin Hub. We have not update the firmware on these discs recently, so believe this is being caused either by a firmware or configuration update to the Virgin Hub.

We have seen on the Virgin forums this has been brought to the attention of Virgin, but we are continuing with our investigation to see if we can find a work around. We would advise to keep an eye on the Virgin forums, as well as the BT forums, to keep up to date with any fixes or work arounds.

One thing we would advise would be to ensure the Virgin Hub is in Router mode, rather than Modem mode. If the Virgin Hub is currently in Modem mode please try changing this to Router mode then resetting the BT Whole Home discs. Also please ensure the Wi-Fi is turned off on the Virgin Hub and no ethernet devices are connecting to the Virgin Hub other than the Master Whole Home disc.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

BT Consumer, Devices 2nd Line Support)

The workaround does not work in case anyone was wondering!

Hub5 received and self installed this AM. Completely resolved the problem. 
Some points of detail to help those still struggling. 

• I have a Gigabit Volt package from VM. 
  • My installation is less than a year old. 
  • I have 6 BT WholeHome discs which worked fine until the firmware update on Feb 16th.
  • The problem lies with VM. BT made no changes to their firmware, VM did and since that, the connection fails. 
  • VM would only supply 3 Wi-Fi pods. 
  • VM offer £100 refund if they cannot provide min 20Mb Wi-Fi download speed in ALL rooms in a house.
  • VM Connect App never worked with my Hub4 - works fine with Hub5. 
  • Had to speak to both technical support and sales team at VM to get Hub5 posted. 
  • Self-installation only as technician installed would be too expensive. 

My position to VM was that if they didn’t change the hub, with 6 BT discs giving me the coverage I need, and them only offering 3, I would be coming to them for the £100 refund as it’s unlikely they could guarantee comparable Wi-Fi coverage. 

It took me over an hour on the phone but VM realised the most cost effective solution for them was to post me a hub!

The replacement works fine. I hope this helps others resolve this VM caused problem. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@EmilTad wrote:

One thing we would advise would be to ensure the Virgin Hub is in Router mode, rather than Modem mode.

They don't even know their discs can't run with the hub in modem mode in the first place🙃

---------------------------------------------------------------

It’s good to know I’m not alone experiencing these issues .. It’s driven me nuts for two months! requested a hub 5 but have been told there’s no stock, then I was told in wasn’t entitled to one, and I almost rang sky there and then after one customer service manager told me if I wasn’t happy he could disconnect me !

But there is hope! after being on the phone and live chat all day ( no exaggeration !) I have been told a hub 5 has been ordered for me 😊 really glad i stumbled across this thread and persisted.. hope it solves the issue 🤞🏻

Hey sarahmeirion,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your hub4 and its connections, I have looked into your issues and can see that there is an SNR issue in your area that is likely to be the cause of your issues, the current estimated fix time is 14:30 on 18th April.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

our issues started way before the issues in our area …. i have managed to order a hub 5 which should be delivered next week, i’m hoping that this will fix our problem, it seems to have worked for others 

I was refused hub 5 unless I paid more money for a service I did not need so I managed to convince your poor customer service agent to send a engineer! The agent kept repeating the words very sorry sir! Obviously reading from a screen and refusing understand anything technical.

As soon as the engineer turned up he said I will get a hub 5 out of my van he said 9 times out of 10 it resolves the problem. I was told that due to covid virgin could not get new modems so started to refurbished old hub 4 a lot of the refurbished hub 4 failed. Then virgin did a bad firmware up grade causing all hub 4 not to work properly with some third party equipment. 

Now that I have a hub 5 everything is working as it used to and as it should for the money I pay!

As soon as a customer has a problem with the hub 4 stop telling them that tests at our end show no problem give them hub 5!

I got no apologies or compensation for the hell I went through and the hours on the phone. Thanks Virgin for looking after a loyal customer!🙏

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Steven_L wrote:

Hey sarahmeirion,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your hub4 and its connections, I have looked into your issues and can see that there is an SNR issue in your area that is likely to be the cause of your issues, the current estimated fix time is 14:30 on 18th April.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

@Steven_L

If you would just read the thread, you would see that it is nothing whatever to do with an area issue.

It is about a faulty firmware update to the Hub 4 which caused it to lose connection with some WiFi devices.

The OP needs a Hub 5 to replace the faulty Hub 4.   Is that too much to ask?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.