cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 issues with BT Whole Home Premium

Bingham-nutter
On our wavelength

After 2 years of working absolutely fine my BT Whole Home Premium (3 Disks) connected to my VM Hub 4 only provide 5-10 mins of connectivity before dropping. I’ve factory reset the BT Disks multiple times, switched the master disc around and switched the Hub 4 on and off multiple times. 

When everything reconnects it works fine for a while then it loses connectivity and I have to try all over again.

Any advice how to trouble shoot the issue

Thanks 👍🏼

60 REPLIES 60

@Bingham-nutter wrote:

Holy crap - how should I be utilising the inSSIDer software to isolate the potential problem?

Just run the software - ignore the bit about 'education' of it's there - just choose the networks tab.  See if anything shows up.  Go from there.

May be barking up the wrong tree - but it's odd that two 'separate' wireless networks are being impacted - the BT one and the VM hub...

You could try the BT whole home WIFI 6 but I think they're 500 quid.........

Another avenue is to try the BT system on another router, or at another location - mates house?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are using the Hib's WiFi and the BT disks there will be a conflict, your devices won't know which to connect to.  I've used them for years and they have always been totally reliable but I've never had another source of signal to contend with.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Please find attached screen grab. I have no idea how to use interpret and isolate what’s happening so any help would be appreciated 👍🏼

3E682CCE-559E-42FA-ABE2-0247AD7CAA63.jpeg

So there’s nothing obvious from neighbours - but what appears to be your VM hub signal on 5GHz is adjacent to the BT system and similar strengths (where laptop is)

Can you disable the WiFi in the Virgin Hub settings 

Was it disabled before?

Have you always had both - last two years?

try disabling the wifi in hub settings so only the bt wifi there

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

So there’s nothing obvious from neighbours - but what appears to be your VM hub signal on 5GHz is adjacent to the BT system and similar strengths (where laptop is)

Can you disable the WiFi in the Virgin Hub settings -Not sure how to do that on the Hub 4 settings

Was it disabled before? No

Have you always had both - last two years? Yes

try disabling the wifi in hub settings so only the bt wifi there - once i figure out how to do this 😜

2265F371-C383-4C24-9D4B-D7F31163A4A4.png

@Bingham-nutter wrote:

workibg from home with multiple screens means the situation is not ideal atm so just poking for some advice how to isolate the issue as I’m reluctant to buy another mesh network if in fact the VM Hub is beginning to play up. 

Your not buying another mesh your going to get a router which you should have gotten. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

First time posting.

I find myself in the same position - I have been running Hub 4 with BT Whole Home Premium with great success since April 2021.

However, on or around 16th February 2023, I have had great difficulty.  The Whole Home network drops out constantly.

I called BT to ask for advice.  The agent's first question for me was, are you using Virgin Hub 4?  She told me that this is a known problem following a recent firmware change on Virgin Hub 4 and that others are experiencing the same difficulty.  I am given to understand that this is not a problem with Virgin Hub 3 or Virgin Hub 5.

I checked the Hub 4 log and my problem co-incide with the following appearing in the log:

SW download Successful - Via NMS

I have seen other posts about problems following the new firmware both on this forum and on Reddit. 

I am sorry that this is not a terribly constructive post.  I am following this thread in the hope I can find a solution as an alternative to leaving Virgin for another broadband provider. 

ah yes the firmware update what would VM do about this say they don't support that type of mesh with their supported hub router mode I wonder...roll back the firmware...fix the problem in 6 months...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Legacy1.  Thank you for the reply.

When I called Virgin earlier today I asked whether it might be possible to roll back the firmware to how it was before 16th February 2023, but they told me that this is not possible. 

Do you know whether I have been advised correctly?  Perhaps there is, in reality, a way to roll back the firmware?