cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 issues with BT Whole Home Premium

Bingham-nutter
On our wavelength

After 2 years of working absolutely fine my BT Whole Home Premium (3 Disks) connected to my VM Hub 4 only provide 5-10 mins of connectivity before dropping. I’ve factory reset the BT Disks multiple times, switched the master disc around and switched the Hub 4 on and off multiple times. 

When everything reconnects it works fine for a while then it loses connectivity and I have to try all over again.

Any advice how to trouble shoot the issue

Thanks 👍🏼

60 REPLIES 60

Client62
Legend

Reading this I'm unclear if the Hub 4 is going off line or just the BT disks are going down.

Discovering that would be my stating point.

@Client62 wrote:

Reading this I'm unclear if the Hub 4 is going off line or just the BT disks are going down.

Discovering that would be my stating point.

Indeed - for me too.

• Do wired connections direct to the hub 4 stay up?
  • Is the Hub 4 own WiFi enabled?  Does that stay up and provide a stable connection?
  • What 'test' equipment tdo you have available? Laptop(s) desktop(s) other devices?
  • Have you tried using a wifi analyser application (app) to see what your local environment is like?  Local interference?  Does the BT SSID stay shining? Clash of channels?  
  • Any new devices added recently?
  • Are all drivers up to date?
  • Can you test on the LAN - from one device to another?  Anything such as a NAS available to test to?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the response Client62

It’s the BT Mesh network discs that frequently disconnect but then I switch the Wi-Fi on and off and it reconnects for 5 minutes before disconnecting again. 

I’ve subsequently switched off the the BT mesh discs and have discovered the hub 4 only but the Wi-Fi on this also drops out but less frequently. 

I tested the hub via 162.198.0.1 to perform a test and discovered “your home network has a few issues” Broadband services was green tick and Wi Fi connections was red triangle. 

Thanks for the response g0akc

In response to your questions:

• Do wired connections direct to the hub 4 stay up? Yes
  • Is the Hub 4 own WiFi enabled?  Yes. Does that stay up and provide a stable connection? No - it also drops but after 1hr or so
  • What 'test' equipment tdo you have available? Laptop(s) desktop(s) other devices? phone laptop
  • Have you tried using a wifi analyser application (app) to see what your local environment is like? No - any recommendations ? Local interference?  Does the BT SSID stay shining? Yes when on (solid blue) but then internet freezes looks like it’s still OK on blue but systems drops. Clash of channels?  Not sure but why would that be if it’s been working fine for 2 years?
  • Any new devices added recently? No
  • Are all drivers up to date? yes
  • Can you test on the LAN - from one device to another?  Anything such as a NAS available to test to? No

Use hub in modem mode get a router with 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to be clear, you are using the Hub as the router but have turned off its own Wi-Fi. Is that right? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi jpeg1

Not sure I completely understand the question.

In the settings area there’s a modem mode which is disabled while the router mode is enabled. 

I’m using the Hub 4 router also for Wi-Fi with the BT Mesh Disks dotted around the house to get better coverage. I typically default to just use the BT Mesh for Wi-Fi connection around the house but especially upstairs as the Hub 4 Wi-Fi is so weak. 

Whenever there’s an issue with the mesh I revert back to the Hub 4 Wi-Fi until I’ve fixed the issue with the BT mesh. 

About a week ago the BT Mesh Wi-Fi kept disconnecting so I’ve had to use the Hub 4 network downstairs next to the router. 

I’ve tried everything to resolve but it’s not working and to make matters worse today I’ve not tried to refinance the BT Mesh at all and only used the Hub 4 Wi-Fi and it keeps losing connection then bounces back at full speed. It’s very odd. 

I’ve called VM but they cannot get someone to assist for 24hrs! 

workibg from home with multiple screens means the situation is not ideal atm so just poking for some advice how to isolate the issue as I’m reluctant to buy another mesh network if in fact the VM Hub is beginning to play up. 

@Bingham-nutter wrote:

Thanks for the response g0akc

In response to your questions:

• Do wired connections direct to the hub 4 stay up? Yes
  • Is the Hub 4 own WiFi enabled?  Yes. Does that stay up and provide a stable connection? No - it also drops but after 1hr or so
  • What 'test' equipment tdo you have available? Laptop(s) desktop(s) other devices? phone laptop
  • Have you tried using a wifi analyser application (app) to see what your local environment is like? No - any recommendations ? Local interference?  Does the BT SSID stay shining? Yes when on (solid blue) but then internet freezes looks like it’s still OK on blue but systems drops. Clash of channels?  Not sure but why would that be if it’s been working fine for 2 years?
  • Any new devices added recently? No
  • Are all drivers up to date? yes
  • Can you test on the LAN - from one device to another?  Anything such as a NAS available to test to? No

• This looks like some sort of environmental issue impacting the WiFi in your house.
  • Clash of channels or interference could be down to your neighbours getting something new?  Are you able to ask them nicely?
  • A classic is the neighbours have got a new baby monitor causing problems - new baby next door?
  • If you have a laptop and a phone it is possible to check the LAN - accessing files on the laptop using the phone, but probably not worth doing from what you've said
  • By SSID 'shining' I wasn't talking about the blue light - I was referring to the SSID signal being shown (still there, being transmitted) - best seen with a wireless analyser - it sounds like it isn't? The SSID signal is actually a separate component in the transmission without getting too technical.
  • Assuming you have a windows laptop, download inSSIDer - free -  available here  - see if that shows anything - you can even try with your own WIFI switched off to see if anything strong from neighbours or whatever showing up
  • let us know
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Holy crap - how should I be utilising the inSSIDer software to isolate the potential problem?