cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 is not as good as my previous Hub 3

Thesaint1967
On our wavelength

I have a 1 gb package but best speed I can get is just over 200mb/s on wifi . I have also seen a decrease in the coverage. I could get internet access in the garden with Hub 3 . 

Even in the kitchen the wifi signal is really low which is the next room to where the router is. 

Can you please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What speed do you get on an ethernet cable connected device?

If the ethernet speeds are ok and its just a Wifi issue... see this.

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - so that is YOU!

They are worth trying - and they should work for you. You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Expecting 1Gb over wireless? no
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi not sure what the link attached is for and I believe we should be getting a min of 500mb/s over wifi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What speed do you get on an ethernet cable connected device?

If the ethernet speeds are ok and its just a Wifi issue... see this.

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - so that is YOU!

They are worth trying - and they should work for you. You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Just had a rep from Bt at my door and showed me a  virgin contract that I should be getting a min of 50% speed ie 500mb/s on  wifi connection and if I dont receive this I can cancel. I 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Wifi speeds are not guaranteed- only ethernet cable connections - see the T&C's.

You have to test it first this way ...

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks John for your reply but I unfortunately dont have a laptop that would run a sufficient  test as my laptop is a old Sony vaio windows 7.So the max reading is up to 100mb/s

l will peservere and ring Virgin when I can. The tests I've carried on are on my android phone

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dunno about the port that your phone has - but for iPhones you can get a lightning to RJ45 ethernet adapter that allows them to connect on an ethernet cable. I have them for USB3 and USBc for my Macbooks too - could do it that way

--------------------
John
--------------------

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Thesaint1967,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your current speeds at the moment! 

Can you tell us if you've been able to contact our team about your ongoing speed issue to investigate further?

Have you been able to take a look at our Speed Up page to see if this can help with your issue?

I have been able to run some internal checks on your connection and your speeds and I cannot see any issues with your at home connection. Please keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina thanks for your response, I have tried once but used my landline to report my issue but when the operator asked me to switch my system off it cut me off as my landline is connected to the router. I may try again this week but have volunteered for the trial of hub 5 to see if I'm successful and fingers crossed it might be better