cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 has major latency issues, only fix is restart

bensp99
Joining in

Prior to August 2022, I was on a 250mb/s contract with a hub 3 and everything worked fine. 

I upgraded to a 500 mb/s contract and got a hub 4. Ever since, I've had major issues with latency. Every 5-10 seconds, I get a lag spike up to 1000m/s, which lasts about a second. This is hardly noticeable when browsing the internet, but makes competitive gaming near impossible. This is just on wifi. My CAT7 ethernet cable is somehow worse, experiencing the same issues, but the spikes last up to 5 seconds, which tends to disconnect me from any online lobbies. The cable works perfectly on its own, I've tested it multiple times. 

I have replaced my hub 4 TWICE, had engineers out to look at everything, fully reset each router, had someone over the phone try and adjust channel and wifi settings etc and (as well as call virgin about 15 times with minimal benefit) the issues persist. The only fix is restarting my router, which I have to do at least daily. After the restart, the network seems fine for 5-6+ hours, but as I go to use it again at a later time, the issues persist. 

It's worth noting that when I first changed my contract, and for a good 3 months, I was having these issues combined with the fact that my speed wouldn't go above about 230 mb/s, even after restarting. This was somehow resolved on virgins end. There was also a significant period of line maintenance around the time of my contract change, which I presumed caused the said issues, but now that restarts resolve the issue, I'm unsure. 

These issues also ( a few times a week) throw out my home security and thermostat systems so remote access via wifi doesn't work. 

What should I do, try to get a hub 3 again and downgrade my contract? 

1 REPLY 1

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi bensp99,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your broadband service. 

I have taken a look on our side and it does look as though an engineer visit is needed. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin