cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 fan

phil106
Joining in

Hi,

I recently received a new Hub 4 from you to replace my existing SuperHub.

It's working fine, but is quite warm and the fan hasn't stopped running since the day it was installed (in exactly the same place as the SuperHub).  The fan noise is quite noticeable in our quiet room.

Surely this isn't correct?  Is it a faulty unit?

13 REPLIES 13

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Have a close look to see if there is any fluff blocking the air vents or touching the fan. VM does re-use the hubs so it might be one that has got dirt inside. Our Hub4 fan comes on in hot weather but is very quiet. It's in a bedroom so we'd notice if it wasn't. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

phil106
Joining in

Thanks for the reply.

The unit is squeaky clean and looks brand new.  There's no dust or anything in or around the air vents.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Well since you have ruled out the obvious things, it's just a noisy fan. It's not the first time this has been reported. You could try phoning in and asking for a replacement, or waiting for a VM person to pick this up and offer to help. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks.

I think the fan is just trying to do its job as the unit is quite warm - not dangerously hot, but much warmer than I would expect.

Hi @phil106,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with noise from the fan on your router, along with it getting a little warmer than you'd expected. Have you ensured that it's placed in an open and well ventilated area?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, it's on the floor of the lounge by the TV - nothing around it and exactly where the old SuperHub had been for many years.  There should be no problem with inadequate ventilation.

Phil

unisoft
Knows their stuff

@phil106 wrote:

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, it's on the floor of the lounge by the TV - nothing around it and exactly where the old SuperHub had been for many years.  There should be no problem with inadequate ventilation.

Phil

If this is in a cool room (like less than 20 degrees) with nothing surrounding it, then you should have no fan whirring.

For the brief time I had a HUB4 when I was a customer, I never once heard the fan in it, even in Summer.

I am wondering there is a heatsink that does not make good contact and causing the fan to be switched on?

There certainly seems to be something not right.  The house heating has not been on since the Hub arrived (and the weather has not exactly been warm!) but the fan hasn't stopped once during this time.

Thanks for coming back to us @phil106.

Is it possible to upload a video of the router, so we can hear the noise being generated by the fan/router?

Has a red light appeared on the router at all, to suggest any overheating?

Thanks

David_Bn