cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

Hi @markmagness,

I understand this fault has already been raised and we are aware. Any suggestions on this thread would be a workaround in the interim period.

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

shaun-paul
On our wavelength

Nonsense @gem101. Besides, even if it was possible to effect all customers, any good programmer would test any changes rigorously beforehand. As not to do so and make sure all is working before rolling it out.  Otherwise you’d never ever get a firmware update would you. 

Changing an SSID is a fairly straightforward thing to do without poking around in the back end. Even if the claims of a small number of routers are true and a firmware update for it is risky as you say, I’d expect VM to know who’s affected and send out a new router as an alternative. Accepting a fault just because “most VM users never ever delve into the settings” does not negate the responsibility to fix a standard user function. 

ltding
Settling in

I have this issue also. Super annoying so have been looking forward to the update for months now.

I've seen that there's a hub 5 rolling out in 2022 so am kinda sceptical that they're even going to patch this issue in favour of just shipping the next generation of hub hardware.

Hi Itding, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

Even though the Hub 5 is within a soft launch period, we are still working on bugs and fixes for the Hub 4. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

kgollop
On our wavelength

Spent an hour swearing at the Hub4 last night with the same issue. It added a "-2G" to the end of my 5Ghz SSID without me realising. Took me 4 attempts to get it save the change back and finally I managed it. Started watching TV and 10 minutes later it renamed it again. Starting to wonder if I should just move to modern only mode and invest in some decent WiFi kit. Have had problems off and on with the Hub3 since working from home and was hoping the Hub4 was going to be the solution not make things worse!

kgollop
On our wavelength

Having more read the full thread, I can see that my issue is that the 5G SSID is being renamed to the non default one (to match the non-default name I gave to the 2.4Ghz SSID), so maybe they've tried to fix it and made it worse. I will try the channel optimization workaround later. Still have half my smart devices unable to connect at the moment but not to leave things alone so I can work for now

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@kgollop Starting to wonder if I should just move to modern only mode and invest in some decent WiFi kit.

All I can say is that in the 2+ years since I installed a modestly priced mesh system, I've had precisely zero problems with the wifi performance in the house.  If there's broadband connection issues then providing your own wifi kit doesn't help, if the problem is the range, reliability or erratic changes that occur with wifi from VM's hub, then there is your solution: Take the matter out of the company's hands.  Your choice of router or mesh system, something to suit all budgets and needs, and there's plenty of good (and bad) advice in this forum.  In terms of brands, TP-Link usually hit the mark for entry level and mid price kit, Asus and Netgear are excellent brands if your needs are more demanding and/or you're willing to spend a fair bit more.

Every time VM trumpet some new "upgraded" intelligent wifi feature, or roll out firmware that makes random, unasked for changes to hub wifi settings, or introduces new bugs whilst trying to squash others, I think "I'm glad that's not my problem".  

kgollop
On our wavelength
Thanks Andrew. Yes it just seems to be Wifi, hard wired devices are always fine and the SamKnows speed test is always showing a reliable 1Gbps connection to the router. I gave the Wifi pod a crack when I got the Hub4 and when it worked the speeds were great in the blackspots (>300Mbps), but once a week the link between router and pod would drop to about 1Mbps, requiring a router reboot. The lack of being able to split the SSID and configure the pod at all led to it being replaced with a TP-Link extender which has been much more reliable and sorted my 2.4Ghz smart device issues. All was going well until the router decided to change the SSID! I'm definitely going to investigate an alternative Wifi solution. We are so reliant in our house on Wifi working from home, various smart devices and connected TV devices I'm at the point where I'd rather just spend a couple hundred quid on sorting it once and for all rather than constantly fighting the Virgin kit.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi kgollop,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!
Apologies for the issues faced.

How are your services getting on now? 

Thanks,

Kain

kgollop
On our wavelength

Hi @kain_w I've (touch wood) had no issues since applying the workaround of disabling intelligent WiFi channel