cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

I posted over three months ago about this issue with a workaround which essentially revolves around disabling Smart WiFi Channel Optimisation:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-0-reboot-bug-resets-custom-2-4ghz-SSI...

It IS a bug and factory resetting the Hub does not help if you want to use custom SSID names. But disabling Smart WiFi Channel Optimisation will stop your SSID's being reset when the device is rebooted.

VM acknowledged it is a bug and apparently had forwarded it to the relevant department to fix. However, 3.5 months later and still no update. Very bad form, this issue really does need fixing. Come on VM....

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
This is why people need to use modem mode nothing is tested right.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just to throw a spanner in the works, since my return from holiday my router hasn’t exhibited this behaviour, despite a few power cuts. I’d assumed they’d pushed a fix.

Do you have smart channel optimisation turned off though? If so, there won't be any problems if the router is rebooted for any reason. It's only when this feature is on does any custom SSID reset after a reboot.

My Hub 4.0 is still running 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20, so no change in software version since I raised it initially.

Tempted to get myself a 3rd party router like a TP-Link Archer AX20 (or small mesh setup like a TP-Link Deco X20) and run modem only mode, but as I can workaround the issue by switching smart channel optimisation off (and honestly around here, it's better to set the channels manually anyway), i'd need a few more reasons to research/invest in another solution. I'd want any replacement to have improved throughput/range - even though to me, the Hub 4.0 doesn't seem too bad. I am curious to know how the Hub 4.0 compares to other solutions in these areas though - maybe a decent 3rd party router would have much better range out of the box. Of course, it would likely be more stable/bug-free on the software/firmware front.

Running 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20, channel optimisation on. Has literally just stopped happening, very odd.

I get the pull to go modem only mode but if everyone does that where’s the impetus for Virgin to actually fix these issues?

Hi markmagness,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community, we are sorry to hear you were having issues with your Hub 4.0, as this has stopped happening please keep a eye on this, if necessary try  movisman's advise about.

We have fed this back to be looked into, apologies again for any inconvenience.

Regards

Paul.

movisman
On our wavelength
Hi markmagness,
That is interesting, i'm not sure how it would stop happening for you with no software update or changes your side. Odd! So, custom SSID on the 2.4ghz, channel optimisation on, reboot and the SSID value is retained? Are you running a single SSID or split? I will try this again myself but I think the SSID value on 2.4ghz always return to the VM default unless I turn channel optimisation off. I remember testing both single and split SSID and it happened when either were set. Factory reset obviously does not help.

For anyone else experiencing the issue, my post with workaround and screenshots is here:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-0-reboot-bug-resets-custom-2-4ghz-SSI...

@Paul_DN - thanks for feeding this back, it is probably an issue which goes back to the last software update when the channel optimisation option was implemented. I only rejoined VM after the update was pushed out so i've always been on 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20, but I noticed the behaviour less a week into using the Hub 4.0, and more people are experiencing or noticing the issue now as it's been a while. It would be good to have this issue fixed by the development team. My thread above would be useful for them in terms of trying to replicate the issue.

Thanks

Oh, and I completely agree about the modem only mode. I would rather the 4.0 work properly and get regular software updates (which it doesn't) than have to spend £100 (at least) on a third party router.

I did the best I could reporting the issue (which took a while over the phone let me tell you!), finding the root cause to replicate the problem, and posting a workaround on here. It's kind of on a plate for VM to then pass this to development to fix, but alas, the process seems to be sedate at best!!!

MrLeeBee
Tuning in

I've seen threads on this forum going back as early as March with this issue. How is it that this has not been fixed yet?

I've not yet tried the turning off Smart Wifi workaround but that's besides the point, I'm just hoping that bumping this thread might help in speeding up this bug being fixed.

Buying a 3rd party router might work for some people but when the connection and speeds you get from the Hub 4 are already great, it would be such a waste of money and unnecessary power consumption.

Unfortunately I can't simply use the default SSID as my computer (in a different room) seems to only want to connect via 2.4ghz. It's an M1 Mac Mini by the way. My last computer (Intel MacBook) connected via 5ghz from the same location so I'm not sure what the deal is and I don't think I can specify that it connects via 5ghz. Anyway, splitting is required as 2.4ghz only has around 3% stronger connection yet the speed is drastically diminished at around 10mb as opposed to 290-340mb when using 5ghz.

Every time my hub is reset via an update or a simple power cut, I have to go around and re-connect 4 smart speakers and 3 smart light bulbs which only use 2.4ghz connection.

Please fix this VM, it's a little ridiculous at this point.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

It's not a bug it's a feature😁

But yes VM needs to fix more bugs its just that they do it slowly.🐌

---------------------------------------------------------------