cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kgollop,

Thank you for coming back to us and keeping us updated. I'm glad to hear that you've had no recent issues! 

Keep us updated and let us know what else we can do to help going forward. 🙂 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I’ve only had the hub4 as a brand new virgin media customer since Jan 22

I split the wifi for smart home devices on to 2.4 ghz

the hub has reset it’s SSID 4 times all by itself  

This morning it decided to broadcast the 5ghz as the same name as the 2.4ghz overnight so all the lights and smart tech stopped working again. 

we have a devolo magic 2 power line mesh enable boxes to boost signal around the house, never a problem before with the crappy sky router we had, this is pretty rubbish, intermittent connection issues, smart bulbs fail to keep connection  

It’s infuriating.

New to Hub 4 - just read all the posts going back a long way. I have the same issue of resetting the SSID if power is removed from the Hub. I find it unbelievable that this has been going on for so long. It must be the same for everyone, but they don't know it because they don't connect anything on 2.4GHz. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Nibbers1

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you tried any of the steps from the post(s) - how are you getting on?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

No, I haven't tried anything and don't believe I should have to. After the length of time this has been an issue this problem, which is easily reproduced, should have had a categoric fix from Virgin!

Hi,

I have just had a new Hub4 installed (last month) and am now another one to add to the 2.4GHz connection problems.

My smart bulb and mobile keep losing connection and can only find the original SSID and not the one I changed it to.

I can connect to the Wi-fi using the original SSID and password though, but not sure what will happen when I have to reboot it next time.

I will probably keep having to re-setup some devices.

This seems to have been going on for about a year now and we need a permanent fix.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi micko48

Thank you for getting in touch

I am sorry to hear you are having issues setting up your devices with the Hub.

Have you been able to complete the reset and find the SSID?

If not, please let us know and we will be happy to help.

Thanks

Nat

I’ve just upgraded to hub 4 and from 600 to 1.2g and the WiFi is now slower than it was before the upgrade so I reset the Hub as recommended and the SSID’s went back to the default from the ones I had set up to match the hub I had removed. I think I might just ask to go back to my previous package as it was much better, no problems at all with that.

It's a joke, must be over a year now and no fix.

WM happy to take your money every month, and can't be bothered to fix it.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us Richard785, 

We are still working on a fix for this. 

We are sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M